Saturday, March 15, 2014

Candied Rose Petals


I needed candied rose petals for the birthday cake tonight.

So, I posed the question on facebook - Anyone local to me have any organic roses in bloom? - and Belle answered.

I stopped by her house on my way home from work last night and picked up a few roses in various shades, from an inky bordeaux to a vibrant azalea to a delicate icy pink. She even gave me a few extra - for the learning curve. Thank you, Belle!

Then I snagged a brand new paint brush from Jake's studio. Yes, it was new. And, yes, I did wash it and thank him profusely.

Candying rose petals isn't like candying citrus. This is tad more delicate. But the results are gorgeous. It's well worth the effort. And if you happen to have a helpful kitchen elf, rope him (or her) into helping you.

Ingredients

  • organic rose petals
  • 1 egg white
  • organic granulated sugar

Procedure
Beat your egg white in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Place granulated sugar on a saucer. Using a clean brush, coat each side of the petal with a layer of egg white.


Press the petals into the sugar, coating it as evenly as possible with a layer of sugar crystals on both sides. Let them dry for at least 6 hours, overnight if possible.


Funny story: D helped me with about a dozen petals before he must have decided it was tedious. I turned my back for a split-second and saw him painting an entire rose - still attached to the stem. "Mom, this is much faster," he declared. "It can go in the center of the cake." Yikes! Okay...


After just a few hours, the rose petals were hardened and sparkly. It's exactly what I wanted for my friend's birthday cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons