Skip to main content

Yemarina Yewotet Dabo (Ethiopian Honey Bread) #WorldBreadDay


Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories invited the Festive Foodies to join her for #WorldBreadDay. She wrote: "Preheat your oven. October 16 is World Bread Day. In honor of the day, please bake any bread of your choice using yeast or sourdough. New posts only. Here's more info about the day. https://anydayguide.com/calendar/3377."

Honestly, that woman is bread-making genius. So, I wasn't sure I wanted to join in; her beautiful breads are seriously intimidating. But, then I realized, my bread baking is never going to improve if I don't bake bread. Makes sense, right? So I put on my thinking cap and let the boys do some reseaching, too, since they were on Fall Break. Before I get to my pick, here's our global bread basket...

Yemarina Yewotet Dabo 
(Ethiopian Honey Bread)

We were inspired by this recipe. It's a simple, delicious bread and I love that Ethiopia is the leading African country in the production of beeswax - and in the top 10 worldwide. This is a recipe a somewhat uncommon bread called Yemarina Yewotet Dabo. The three words mean: Yemar, honey; yewotet, milk; and dabo, bread in Amharic, one of the main languages of Ethiopia. As far as my honeys went, I used a local-to-me honey from Carmel and, for serving, some honey that a friend gave me from her travels in Spain.

This is slightly adapted from the original recipes I found. I added more spices and reduced the butter. Also, just to clarify, the first rise was in a stainless bowl; the second rise - and the baking - was done in a stoneware bowl.

Ingredients
  • 1 T active, dry yeast
  • 1/2 C warm water
  • 2 T honey + 1/2 C (I used a local honey)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 T ground coriander
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t ground cardamom
  • 1/4 t ground nutmeg
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 C milk, warmed
  • 6 T butter, softened
  • 5-1/2 C flour + more for kneading
  • oil (I used canola oil)
  • butter and honey for serving (I used a honey from Spain)

Procedure
Place warm water and 2 T honey in a mixing bowl. Whisk to dissolve honey, then add the yeast and let bloom for 10 minutes. The mixture should be foamy.

Whisk the egg, 1/2 C honey, spices, and salt together in a small bowl. Gently stir in the yeast mixture and then add the warm milk and butter.

Stir 2 C flour into the mixture. Add flour 1/2 C at a time while mixing with a wooden spoon. Adjust the flour: if you feel that the dough is wet and sticky, continue adding 1/2 C flour until the dough is smooth. The dough will be scraggy.

\
Lightly flour the counter or work space and knead the dough until it is it is smooth and elastic, approximately 10 to15 minutes.


Place in a lightly oiled stainless bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. Let it rise until doubled in size, approximately 60 to 90 minutes


Punch the dough down. Form the dough into a loaf or whatever shape you like. I simply place it in a stoneware baking bowl and covered it with a towel for a second rise, approximately 45 minutes



During the last 30 minutes of the rise, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake at 325 for an hour until the bread is firm and nicely browned on the top.


Invert the bread onto wire rack or cutting board. Eat by itself or - as we chose to eat it - with butter and more honey.

Comments

  1. Is this baked right in the bowl? It is a lovely loaf Cam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first rise was in a stainless bowl. The second rise was in a stoneware bowl that I did bake it in.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the sweet words. This bread is really gorgeous. I'm so glad you baked along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce