Skip to main content

White Fish Flop #KitchenMatrixCookingProject


Here we are at the third August post for our year-long #KitchenMatrixCookingProject; you can read more about that project here. Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm selected our recipes this month and she is wrapping up the month with proteins - fish and chicken.

This week, we're focusing on white fish. If you don't have a copy of Bittman's cookbook, you can see his white fish matrix online here. I considered broiling fish with tomatoes and capers; or making fish curry with zucchini. The recipe that the boys wanted to try was the prosciutto-wrapped fish. But I didn't have prosciutto and decided to give it a go with bacon instead because I had been to the market too many times that day already. Big mistake.

Here's what the others whipped up this week with their white fish...



While I loved the idea of bacon-wrapped fish, I clearly need a do-over. I call 'mulligan!' Or maybe I should actually follow Bittman's tried and true recipe instead of winging it blindly.

I figured: How hard could it be?

Let's just say my fish was overdone and the bacon was not done enough. Ugh. So, apparently it's harder than I thought.


But I am posting this because as much as I love sharing my kitchen successes and triumphs, I find it equally important that we share those flops, too. It makes us human and encourages us to embrace the fact that we aren't Martha Stewart...at least not everyday, right? And I didn't want to let down my fellow Kitchen Matrix Cooking Pals. However, I won't dare share a recipe.

So, stay tuned for our final August post next week when we explore paillards. Yes, I had to look that one up.

Comments

  1. Awww. Bummer. I guess bacon is thicker than prosciutto! Thanks for posting anyway and supporting me and Wendy! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. The paillards I made (which I had to look up too) were delicious!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you had a fail....It does happen to us all. It is hard to combine two ingredients with such different cooking time requirements. Perhaps if you had parcooked the bacon first?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...