It's time for Group B's June 2016 for the Secret Recipe Club. This month I was assigned to Nicole at I am a Honey Bee. She's new to my group and I was excited to explore her blog.
Before I get into her recipes, here's a little about Nicole. She goes by Nic more often than not, but call her Nicki and you are going to be ignored. Her day job is at an architecture firm and she loves details and construction. She writes: "I cook. I bake. I design. I clean. I don’t sleep enough." She also has some random fun facts that made me smile...or at least pause!Now on to her recipes...
- Tulips are my favorite flower Mine, too! The bridesmaids in my wedding carried tulip bouquets.
- I hate olives. All kinds. Hmmm...you lost me here.
- If I had to pick just 1 way to have my eggs for the rest of my life it would be Eggs Benedict. I'm with you on this one.
- I correct people’s grammar in my head. Okay, okay, I often say it out loud in response to TV reporters/analysts. All the time!
- I am a salt person. Screw chocolate, pass the chips! I never even ate chocolate until I was pregnant with my first son. But I am a chip-gal, too.
- I love peeps. Fresh or old and chewy. I've used them in floral arrangements!
The girl made Cheez-its. Homemade Cheez-its. That made my savory-loving heart skip a beat. Her Spiced Carrot Soup looks bright and cheerful; her Quinoa and Brussels Sprout Salad looks like a unique and tasty combination. One of these evenings, I am going to whip up her Steak Quesadillas. But, as I had some shrimp that I needed to use quickly, I started looking at her seafood recipes. Her Bang Bang Shrimp looked crunchy and delicious, but I don't really fry things and I would have to make them gluten-free for Jake. Her Citrus Apple Butter Glazed Grilled Shrimp had me drooling, but I didn't have any apple butter in the fridge. Darn it! So, I decided to go for her Garlic Lemon Shrimp.
Just a quick shout-out of gratitude to my big one and my little one who have wonderful green thumbs and keep our Meyer lemon tree happy and prolific.
slightly adapted from
I am a Honey Bee's Garlic Lemon Shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 C white wine
- 1 t fresh oregano
- 1 t red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 organic lemons
- freshly ground salt
- freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In a bowl, mix together the shrimp, garlic, olive oil, wine, oregano, red pepper flakes, and the juice of 1 lemon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Lay out the shrimp mixture on the lined baking sheet. Cut the remaining 1/2 lemon into thin slices and lay onto the shrimp.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, it is done when the shrimp have all turned pink.