Skip to main content

Donkey & Goat Wines for Our Tasty Murder Dinner {Tasting Notes}



Every once in awhile you come across a business you just can't help but adore. Donkey & Goat is one of those for me.

First, they are located in Berkeley and I love everything about that town - the food sensibilities, the coffee, everything. It probably has something to do with living there for five years. But we go up there just to eat! My boys are ardent fans of The Cheeseboard Collective and Lush Gelato and are always game to try something new. And there always seems to be something new to try.

Second, Jared and Tracey are passionate about their craft; here's their manifesto. How can you not find people like that deliciously irresistible?

So, when I began to plan a birthday party for one of my best friends, I toyed with the idea of doing a complete Donkey & Goat wine pairing. And because of a shipping debacle during the holidays, Jared generously sent off a replacement package and a few extra wines to try. Oh. My. Goodness. I'm so grateful.

The first grader at the dinner party asked me for a pen. And I found this when I was cleaning up... I guess he liked the labels. Or he was just practicing his writing.


With our Starters course, we opened the 2014 Grenache Rosé, Mendocino. Isabel's Cuvée. The wine is made from over century old Grenache Gris wines. And it's pink!


They processed half of the grapes like a white wine; the other half was destemmed and left to soak with the skins on for a day. They bottled unfiltered on in February of last year. Its color reminded me of the almost indescribable color of poached quince - a cloudy, salmon hue. On the palate, it’s light and crisp with medium acidity. I served this with Bacon & Bleu Deviled Eggs and a Bacon and White Bean Dip. Recipes to come.

With our Soup and Salad, we opened the 2013 Roussanne, El Dorado. Stone Crusher.


They have been making this orange wine for about 5 years, when they realized that the skins helped  their natural fermentation finish. Yes, I did write "orange wine." It's not white, or even pink. It's not red. It's really orange. See!


With two weeks' contact with the skins of the grapes, the wine has an alluring hue. It's probably one of the most interesting - and unusual wines - I've ever tried. It's bitter...in a good way...and toothy. What I mean by that is that it is a mouthful that you savor, almost as if you're chewing it. Don't get me wrong, you don't actually chew it, but it has that food quality, versus typical wine that passes through your mouth without weightiness. I served this with Roasted Parsnip Soup with Crumbled Bacon and Cheese Curds and Salad Greens with a Warm Maple Bacon Dressing

With The Main Attraction, we opened the 2013 Mourvèdre, El Dorado. The Prospector.


The Prospector vineyards are in California's Gold Country. This inky Mourvèdre was almost magical. It's simultaneously earthy and gamey with notes of berries and licorice. I was completely enamored by it. I think I might need another bottle of this one, one I don't have to share! I served this with Roasted Butternut Squash with Pancetta and Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf. Recipes to follow.

The birthday boy commented that the wines were perfectly matched with the foods. Sweet! Thanks, Jared and Tracey. What a fabulous set of wines! I'm even more of a fan now.

Comments

  1. How fun. I love wine tasting dinners and using one vintner for all the courses is a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce