I decided that I would virtually circle the globe instead of trying to decide on a single wine.
Four Volcanic Wines...
I started my globe trotting in Santorini, pairing Smoky, Spicy Clams with Assyrtiko. Funny story: completely unaware of what I was pouring and why, my husband queried, "Does this seem smoky to you?" I picked my jaw up off the table and asked him to expand on that. After a second sip, he continued, "No, maybe I was imaging it...if you don't taste it. Do you taste the smoke?" I definitely did taste it, but thought it was only a figment of my imagination. But Jake confirmed it.
Next I poured a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with a Passionfruit Pavlova. Sileni's Sauvignon Blanc has an intriging mix of kiwi, passionfruit and pineapple aromas. On the palate, it's fresh with a lingering acidity. I had initially thought I'd pair this with a savory dish, but was swayed by the taste of the tropics.
Coming a little closer to home, I made Millet-Crusted Lamb Lollipops with a Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa. Because it was so hot - and I didn't want to be in the kitchen for any longer than necessary - I opted to make a quick dish of millet-crusted lamb lollipops. And I plated it with a dollop of some SavoryTomato Bacon Jam. Had I not had that in the fridge, I think this all would have paired nicely with a cherry chutney. Next time...
I finished the tour with Pasta Con Le Sarde and a Sicilian red. One of my favorite things about Sicily: the seafood. When we stayed in Palermo, I hauled the family to the market to get fresh seafood for dinner. We ate fish, sea snails, and whatever else caught my eye. When we were on Ustica, fisherman rolled carts through the cobblestone streets, bellowing, "Pesci! Pesci!" I remember sending my cousin down to the street to stop one of the fisherman when I saw swordfish on the cart.
Hope you'll join the party. Posts will go live on Saturday, September 12th and we'll be on Twitter that morning at 11:00am EST. Follow the hashtag #winePW and #scorchedterroir.
Here's what the #winePW crew shared...
- Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm will share #WinePW presents Volcanic Wine and Food Pairings
- Christy, the Culinary Diva, at Confessions of a Culinary Diva is posting Coastal Cuisine meets Volcanic Wines
- David at Cooking Chat paired Volcanic Cab, Potatoes and Beef
- Here at Culinary Adventure with Camilla you'll find Wines from Scorched Terroir Around the Globe
- Sarah of Curious Cuisiniere wrote Australian Style Grilled Shrimp and Not So VolcanicAustralian Wine
- Lori at Dracaena Wines titled her post From the Ashes a Terroir Shall be Woken #WinePW
- Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog gives us A Taste of Greece: Grilled Branzini with Ladolemono Paired with Hatzidakis Assyrtiko
- Jeff from foodwineclick thinks that Goats and Volcanoes are an Earthly Match
- Erin at Platings and Pairings whipped up some Pork Chops with Cherry Sauce
- Nancy at Pull that Cork made some Arancini Paired with Etna Rosso for #winePW
- Michelle at Rockin Red Blog is writing about Volcanic Wine: Erupting with Flavor
- Jade at Tasting Pour shared State Soil, Stoller Wine, and a Secret Recipe? #winepw
- Jennifer at Vino Travels went with a Sicilian volcanic wine pairing: Pasta Alla Norma with Nerello Mascalese
Jeff from foodwineclick will be leading October's #winePW. And it has something to do with Merlot. Can't wait to see what he has in store for us. Cheers!