Friday, February 14, 2014

Strega-Spiked Saffron Truffles


With saffron on my mind and Truffle-Making class last week, I decided to try and make some saffron truffles - spiked with Liquore Strega, naturally - for my Valentine. All I have to say is 'wow.' Are you allowed to say that about something you made yourself?!

I did buy a mini scoop yesterday. Even though I am a non-gadgety cook, this is a must for easy truffle making. I can't believe I've never had one before! Thanks for the tip, Jenn.

Start with my Strega-Spiked Saffron Ganache.

Procedure
Line a cookie sheet or tray with parchment paper or foil.

With a tablespoon or tablespoon scoop, scoop chilled truffle ganache from your bowl and place on the lined tray.

Refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes. (I let them chill for about 30 minutes.)

For chocolate-dipped truffles...how to temper chocolate...
Place half of your chipped chocolate (I didn't measure, but you can just repeat the process if you run out of chocolate) in a double-boiler and, over low heat, warm until melted. Remove from heat and stir in the other half of the chocolate. Set aside until the chocolate begins to lose its shine; it's beginning to crystallize. Then, return the chocolate to the double-boiler and warm, over very low heat, until smooth and glossy.

Dip chilled truffles in the melted chocolate, one at a time.  You may use a candy dipping tool, but I just use a two-toothpick combo. Dip the truffle quickly into the melted chocolate and shake off the excess.  Place on the parchment-lined tray and use another toothpick to nudge the truffle off of the toothpick.  Dip the toothpick back into the melted chocolate and use a dab of chocolate to cover up any imperfections.


Serve with a cordial of Strega for that extra saffron goodness! Cin cin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons