Today Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures has us looking at egg salad. She writes: "After all those Easter eggs, you're going to need some eggs-traordinary egg salad recipes. Not to mention Apr. 12 - 18 is National Egg Salad Week. Mayo, no mayo, avocado, sriracaha. Show us your show stopping egg salad!" Check out the line-up for inspiration on what to do with all your hardboiled eggs after Easter!
- BLT Egg Salad Sandwich by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Caesar Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps by Our Good Life
- Cucumber Egg Salad Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Egg and Smoked Salmon Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Egg Salad Niçoise by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mediterranean Deviled Egg Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Smoked Salmon and Egg Salad Tartines by Karen's Kitchen Stories
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Egg Salad Niçoise
I'll be honest: When I first signed up for the event, I had no idea what I meant by the title! I just knew that I wanted to make an egg salad with all of my favorite components of a Niçoise - hard boiled eggs, anchovies, haricots verts, potatoes, Niçoise olives, tomatoes, and a mustard vinaigrette. Beyond that, I was definitely winging it. So this is what resulted...
Ingredients serves 2
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 2 anchovies for garnish
- 1 tomato, sliced into wedges
- 2 handfuls of haricots verts, blanched
- 6 new potatoes, boiled and halved
- 2 T pitted Niçoise olives
- 3 C torn lettuce leaves
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1/3 C champagne vinegar, or other mild-flavored vinegar such as rice-wine vinegar
- 2 anchovies
- 1 C olive oil
- 1/2 t flake salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
In a small bowl, crush 2 anchovies into a paste. Add in the mustard and vinegar, then begin whisking. Slowly pour in oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly until all the oil is included and dressing is creamy and emulsified. Fold in the salt and pepper; season with additional salt and pepper, as needed.
In a medium bowl, add diced hardboiled eggs and 2 to 3 T vinaigrette. Stir to incorporate and break up the yolks a little bit.
Plate 1-1/2 C lettuce per plate. Place egg salad on top of the lettuce. Add a pile of tomatoes, green beans, and potatoes, arranging them however you like. Drizzle dressing over the vegetables. Garnish the egg salad with a whole anchovy.
Add a few grinds of freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.
I'm still not totally sure that this is what Christie had in mind. Oh, well. Jake and I enjoyed it immensely!