Happy New Year and welcome to the fifth installment of the Winter Warm-Up Drink Series hosted by Ellen of Family Around the Table! I missed last week due to a crazy schedule, but there's one more that I have planned. Can't wait to share. Cheers.
Sips to Warm You Up
- Aquavit & Tonic by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cinnamon Cookie Butter Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Peppermint Bark Hot Cocoa by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vanilla Coffee by Our Good Life
- Vietnamese Coffee by Palatable Pastime
But I wanted to start with a quick primer on aquavit. Despite how long Scandinavians have been making and drinking aquavit, it's largely unknown outside of those countries. It's such a shame because, as a spirit, it's completely beguiling.
The name 'aquavit' derives from two Latin words: aqua vitae and translates to "water of life." The French have a clear brandy eau de vie which means the same thing, but has a very different flavor. I've had more fruit based eau de vie while aquavit is decidedly more spicy. Aquavit has many different recipes and flavor profiles between brands, but the dominant flavor is caraway seeds. This one, from Krogstad, has a strong star anise flavor that I love! It is brilliantly clear with spicy notes and aromas that are smooth and seductive which makes it a fabulous match for bitter tonic.
Aquavit & Tonic makes one cocktail
- 1.5 ounces aquavit
- 4.5 ounces tonic (I used an elderflower tonic from Fever Tree)
Place ice in a glass. Pour in tonic. Pour in aquavit. Swirl before sipping.