Monday, November 14, 2016

Braised Short Ribs and Grilled Persimmons #FeastNearby #Sponsor

I created this recipe with complimentary items from Melissa's Produce. All opinions are my own.

Thanks to Melissa's Produce for some lovely persimmons. While I was tempted to just peel and eat them straight from the box, I decided to showcase them in a savory dish...my main dish for the November #WinePW #FeastNearby event. Please note, these are the short Fuyu persimmons and not the more conical Hachiya ones.


Ingredients serves 6
  • 2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef short ribs
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 organic onion, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 T butter
  • 1 C beef stock
  • 1/2 C red wine 
  • 1/4 C freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 to 3 organic persimmons, peeled and quartered
  • 2 persimmons, thickly sliced


Procedure
Preheat an oven to 350ºF. Season short ribs liberally with salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a Dutch oven, melt 1 T butter in 2 T olive oil. Add the onions and cook until just translucent. 


Add the short ribs to the pan. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Pour in the stock, red wine, and orange juice. Bring liquid to a boil. 


Add in the persimmons and cover the pot. 


Place it in the oven to braise for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. The meat should be tender and almost falling off the bone. 


Just before serving, grill your persimmon slices just enough to get pronounced grill marks. I used a cast iron grill pan.


Serve over a bed of polenta or rice...whatever you prefer.



You may find Melissa's...
on the web
on Facebook
on Twitter
on Pinterest
on Instagram

*Disclosure: I received this product for free from the sponsor. I have received no additional compensation for my post. My opinion is 100% my own and 100% accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons