Another Spring-y recipe that was on our Easter table yesterday: radishes braised in butter on top of Little Gems lettuce leaves. Thanks, Serendipity Farms! The beautiful radish blossoms are from my Kitchen Elf with a green thumb. Thanks, D!
This preparation mellows the piquant radishes to a wonderful silky sweetness. And it's so easy!
- 2 T butter
- radishes, cleaned, greens removed, halved lengthwise
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly ground sea salt
- 1 T honey (I used a local honey)
- 1/2 C water
- 1 T fresh herbs, thinly sliced
- Little Gems lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
- olive oil
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- radish blossoms for garnish
Use a pan large enough to hold the radishes without crowding. Melt the butter over medium heat, letting it brown slightly. Add the radishes, honey, and water. Stir to combine.
Raise the heat and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until tender, approximately 20 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat to high and bring back to a boil. Cook for another few minutes, until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Drain off remaining liquid and toss with chopped herbs.