Skip to main content

My Top Ten of 2011

On Christmas Eve we played a version of Family Feud at the dinner party my mom hosted. When it went to the sudden death round, she hand-picked the questions for each player until one team couldn't answer. Totally unfair.

The final question for me was: name foods that most people have never tried.

Everyone on both teams chuckled, "she has no idea what most people have never tried." But I did it. Of course, I adopted the mindset of what would some of my friends in the Mid-West say to that question.

Sorry, guys. Face it, you don't live in the most culinarily adventurous area; it's one of the reasons I fled and returned to California.

Final answer = caviar. I am proud to say that though it was a challenging topic for me, since I eat just about everything, my team "The Fat Garfield Team" (yes, my 8-year-old picked our name) prevailed.

In the vein of adventurous eating, I want to take a walk down my culinary memory lane and run down the list of my top ten from 2011, things that made my tastebuds sing. Enjoy! Looking forward to even more fun in the kitchen in 2012.


(10) Chocolate mousse with a licorice twist. Yes, please. That's what my Strega Chocolate Mousse tasted like. I served them in teeny, tiny cups because the flavor packed a punch.



(9) When I received bunches of green garlic in my CSA box from High Ground Organics, I was intrigued. I had never tried, much less cooked with, green garlic. I finally came up with a Green Garlic Gazpacho that was a delicious Spring treat. I hope that I get some in my boxes come next Spring. I will definitely be making this again.


(8) Chocolate truffles are my go-to when I want something chocolate-y. The absolute favorite version I made this year, though, was my Bee Pollen Truffle with fennel pollen inside and bee pollen on top. Yes, they are as decadent a treat as that sounds.


(7) No geese were harmed in the production of my Triple Mushroom PĆ¢tĆ© that I whipped up for my husband's birthday dinner last April. The 'Fungi Feast for My Fun-Guy' gave me the opportunity to visit a local mushroom farm. This was a fairly involved recipe, but the results were well worth it.


(6) I've made my own pickles before, but I've never fermented cabbage, Korean-Style. This year I tried my hand at making kimchi and it was such a hit that, first, there is now a jar of homemade kimchi always ready to go and, second, (I am most proud of this) a good friend of mine who previously didn't eat cabbage is a convert. Yipee.


(5) Years ago I was opposed to anything pink. But being the lone female in the testosterone land called the Mann Clan, I think I've begun to embrace the traditionally girly color. I even did an entirely pink dinner for a friend's birthday with all things beet. The dessert I made: Spiced Beet Mousse. It was a treat for the eyes as well as the tongue.


(4) When my 9-year-old and I were working on the Thanksgiving menu, he added some things that made even our traditional fare more fun. Case in point, Riley asked if I could buy some prickly pears and could I add prickly pear to my cranberry sauce. Yes. And, yes. Love it! The Prickly Pear-Cranberry Sauce was the perfect companion to our roasted quail. Nice call, Riley-ball.


(3) This was so tasty that I made it multiple times throughout the months of November and December when leeks and kale were a constant in my High Ground Organics CSA box: Potato Salad with Caramelized Leeks and Kale. It's not your typical potato salad, but each time I served it, it disappeared quickly.


(2) Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.... Though that is one of my favorite Christmas carols, peeling chestnuts is one of my least favorite kitchen chores. So, when I see roasted and peeled vaccum-packed chestnuts at Trader Joe's, I stock up. I used a bunch in a soup I served on Christmas Eve: Creamy Chestnut Soup. Two spoonfuls in, my husband asked if I wrote down the recipe. Sure. "No, really, write it down." Okay, fine.


Drum roll, please. And my absolute top pick of 2011: Rhubarb Liqueur. Cin cin. It was so easy, except on my patience. But I will be making a much bigger batch of this next year.

Hope you enjoyed my adventures and continue to follow along next year.
Happy New Year!
~Camilla

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'MaƮtre Bonhome' VirƩ-ClessƩ #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, CĆ©sar, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'MaĆ®tre Bonhome' VirĆ©-ClessĆ©. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce