Skip to main content

Seared Summer Squash Topped with Fresh Corn Salad

 

Inspired by the CSA box that David of Cooking Chat received last week - in conjunction with the podcast we recorded ahead of the Wine Pairing Weekend event on Saturday, August 13th - I made this dish to highlight his shares of summer squash, fresh corn, and cherry tomatoes.


With summer produce, it's so fresh that I try not do too much to it. In this case, I seared thick slices of summer squash - zucchini in my case, from one of my CSA farms - and topped it with a fresh salad made with raw corn kernels, ripe cherry tomatoes, and sea beans which add a beautiful burst of salinity.


It took an incredible amount of restraint to not just eat all the cherry tomatoes. I love popping them like candy. Truth be told: a fair amount went straight into my mouth while I made this recipe!

Ingredients serves 4

Seared Squash
  • 2 large zucchini or squash sliced into thick coins
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
  • Also needed: griddle or skillet


Corn Salad
  • 1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels 
  • 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped sea beans (you can substitute fresh green beans and a sprinkling of sea salt) plus more for garnish
  • olive oil
  • vinegar
  • salt and pepper, as needed
Procedure

Corn Salad
Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl. Toss to combine and set aside. 


Seared Squash
Heat olive oil to a shimmer on a griddle or skillet. Place slices in a single layer on the pan. Cook until you get a nice sear. Flip and sear again. You don't want to cook these too much that they get soft and mushy. You just want enough of the cut sides to have color.


Place seared squash slices on a serving platter. Top with corn salad. Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...