Skip to main content

Foods from Around the World Paired with Pink Wines from Portugal #WinePW


This week the Wine Pairing Weekend Bloggers are looking at Vinho Verde. You can read the invitation that Cindy, of Grape Experiences, posted: here.

If you're reading this early enough, feel free to join our live Twitter chat on Saturday, August 8th at 8am Pacific time. Follow the hashtag #WinePW and be sure to add that to any of your own tweets so we can see it. In the meantime, these articles will go live between Friday, August 7th and Saturday, August 8th...


Pink Wines from Portugal

Since it's summer and Vinho Verde's price points are so attractive - all of them were less than $10! - I decided to do an exploration of a few bottles of Vinho Verde Rosé. Why focus on the pinks? I think I had Rosés on my brain after the #ItalianFWT look at Rosato wines last weekend; you read my post Italian Pinks, Sardinian Native Grapes, and Gamberi all'Aglio, if you're interested.

So, I just stuck with the theme. I found these pink wines from Portugal incredibly food friendly. And, in that vein, I decided to go completely off the rails and pair the pink Portuguese wines with food from around the world.

I paired with a Middle Eastern flatbread, fresh Spring rolls from Vietnam, potatoes from the Iberian peninsula, and a spicy soup from Korea. Okay, the third one is almost a 'what grows together, goes together' combo. Almost.

João Portugal Ramos Vinho Verde Rosé 2018 + 
Za'atar Manakeesh, A Middle Eastern Flatbread

You can read my recipe post for the Za'atar Manakeesh


The João Portugal Ramos Vinho Verde Rosé 2018 is a blend of three native Portuguese grapes - Touriga Nacional, Padeiro, and Espareidohas - that were sourced from the sub-regions of Lima and cavado within the Vinho Verde region. It has a light salmon color whose paleness belies its complex aromas.On the nose there were strong notes of strawberry and watermelon with soften notes of citrus. On the palate the wine was bright and acidic with a long finish. This was purchased on wine.com for less than $10.

Papas Bravas + 
Gazela Vinho Verde Rosé

You can read my recipe post for the Papas Bravas.


The Gazela Vinho Verde Rosé is a non-vintage blend comprised of 35% Borracal, 30% Espadeiro, 30% Amaral, and 5% Vinhao. I wasn't expecting this to be semi-sparkling, but that was a fantastic surprise that played well with the spice on the potatoes. A bright geranium in color, the wine has aromas of strawberries and something distinctly tropical I might say guava. On the tongue, that slight effervescence emphasizes the bouquet. And my overall impression is fresh and elegant. This was purchased on wine.com for less than $10.

Fresh Veggie Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce 
+ Orlana Vinho Verde Rosé

You can read my recipe post for the Fresh Veggie Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce.


I found this Orlana Vinho Verde Rosé at Whole Foods when I wasn't looking for any more Vinho Verde Rosé. But my eye was immediately drawn to the deeper salmon color. And at less than $10, I had to try it. And I'm glad I did. On the nose I got strawberry and watermelon. On the tongue there were both of those flavors with a little bit more tartness of green apple. This wine was a little bit more viscous and sweet than I anticipated, but the freshness and spiciness of the spring rolls were a great match for it.

Kimchi Dubu Jigae (Kimchi-Tofu Stew) 
+ Broadbent Vinho Verde Rosé

You can read my recipe post for the Kimchi Dubu Jigae (Kimchi-Tofu Stew) + Broadbent Vinho Verde Rosé.


The Broadbent Vinho Verde Rosé is another blended, non-vintage wine and also rings in at less than $10 per bottle. Comprised of 40% Borraçal, 30% Espadeiro, 20% Amaral, and 10% Vinhão, this wine has the expected aromas and flavors of strawberry with an added intrigue of citrus zest. It also has a pleasant level of fizz. This was also purchased on wine.com for less than $10.

Well, that's a wrap for my Vinho Verde exploration this month. All four of these pink Vinho Verdes were summery and affordable. And they paired beautifully with foods from all around the world. I found they complemented foods with a generous level of flavor such as the zing of the sumac on my Middle Eastern flatbread, the sweet heat of the fresh Spring rolls, the piquant bravas sauce on the Spanish potatoes, and the heat-heavy kimchi in the Korean soup. These were all great matches for these wines.

The Wine Pairing Weekend bloggers will be back next month with a dive into a harvest theme with Gwendolyn at Wine Predator at the lead. Stay tuned for more information about that.

Comments

  1. Wow! This is an impressive trip around the world. I love, love, love Za'atar. Haven't had it in ages. Seems the eclectic rosés were perfect with foods sometimes difficult to pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pink wine roll! What joy in a bottle for such an affordable price.
    I look forward to trying to make your recipes for the Spring Rolls and the Kimchi Tofu Stew (I will have to make something else for Michael that day, but I am determined to try this!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed my Broadbent white blend, I think I will look up their Rose. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you went all out with 4 wines and global pairings for each!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these pairings look fab to me. Not sure which is making my mouth water the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so cool you were able to find a few pink Vinho Verde for your pairings! And now you have me craving Patatas Bravas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce