Skip to main content

From Personal Project Garden to Victory Garden


Before this week, I had never heard the term 'victory garden'. And, truth be told, D planted this garden before we were sheltered in place to flatten the curve of the coronavirus that's ravaging the globe. But, once I learned what a victory garden was, I was more than happy to call it that as we use it to supplement our groceries, considering the balancing act of preparedness versus panic-buying. And, really, who isn't proud to eat something they grew themselves?!

This garden was what he chose to do for his Personal Project - that's a year-long project at the end of the MYP (Middle Years Programme) in the IB (International Baccalaureate) curriculum and includes a written paper that's akin to a thesis...except he's a sophomore in high school. I didn't have to write a thesis till I was graduating from Berkeley!

In any case, as I've been editing the paper - all 59 pages of it! - this week, I know a lot more about it. So, I'll share some background about this beautiful garden that's feeding us right now.

First, 'victory gardens', also called 'war gardens', were vegetable, fruit, and herb gardens planted at private residences and public parks throughout United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Germany during World War I and World War II. Now, on to D's Sustainable Garden Project...


He started with the idea of growing enough food, using a water catchment system, to host a pop-up dinner where he would educate the guests about sustainable agriculture. His advisor, Mr. Nicholson, told him that that might be a little too complicated for this project. So, he scaled back to creating a garden with a fog collection and water storage system. He wrote, "At the [first project] meeting [in September], I started talking about the giant project that I was thinking of creating and he gave me 'project-saving advice.' ...He told me I was going too big for this project and that it would be much smarter to just focus on one of those elements of sustainable agriculture. I decided that the most important topic/issue I wanted to solve was sustainable water collection methods, i.e. fog  collectors. I decided to create a fog collector that fed an irrigation system which watered crops in my garden."

He researched, planned, measured, problem-solved, and budgeted throughout the Fall. Then, in January, he and Jake purchased the material and he got to work.


He built the fog collector.


He planted into raised beds.


He installed the fog collector and water containment system. And, then, the garden part of the project really began.


He wrote: "I hadn’t checked on my plants for about two days; when I came back I found the vegetables had been eaten by some creature. I looked for insects but then my father spotted footprints of a small mammalian animal. We later found out the animal to be a ground squirrel so my dad rushed to net off the plants with an orchard net in the hopes of protecting the plants. A few days passed and the ground squirrel hadn’t come back so I decided to create a more permanent frame so we put together a frame that the orchard mesh could be laid on so we could easily access the plants."


And here are some of his reflections: "Overall I am very proud of what I was able to accomplish during this personal project. Despite all the setbacks and issues I faced, I still was able to create a sustainable garden at my house. I solved the ground squirrel infestation with a protective net. I solved the freezing problem by creating a miniature greenhouse. The only problem I couldn’t solve is how to keep the irrigation system under pressure."


He had some thoughts about expanding the project. I'm all for that. More planter beds, please!!! Now he's we're all reaping the benefits: from personal project garden to victory garden! I'll be sharing recipes with the vegetables he's growing in the coming weeks. But I am so, so proud of him.


He isn't letting me harvest anything since I kill all plants and don't have any idea what to do in a garden. And I really do think he thinks his plants will perish if I even look at them. I'll happily let him harvest as long as I get to cook and eat the greens!


Last week, he came in with handful of kale which I added to a pot of pasta e fagioli. Then this weekend the haul included kale and chard. I used those in a meatball soup.


Stay tuned for more #VictoryGarden recipes. Are you growing your own food? What's in season for you??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caulibits Crni Rižoto (Croatian Black "Risotto") #Whole30

Last week, I participated in the Wine Pairing Weekend event 'New Year, New Wine." I paired Crni Rižoto with Dingac Vinarija’s Pelješac...and you can read my post: here . I was pouring a Croatian wine and decided to make a traditional Croatian dish. Every seafood restaurant in Croatia has a  Crni Rižoto  (black risotto) on its menu.  Crni Rižoto  is risotto dyed black with squid ink; I used cuttlefish ink for the same effect. However, since arborio rice is not Whole30 compliant, I made a version for myself that used caulibits instead of rice. Ingredients 1 C fish stock (or a combination of fish stock and vegetable stock) 1 T olive oil 1 medium shallots, peeled and minced 1 cloves garlic, crushed and minced 1/4 lb shrimp 1/4 lb squid tubes, cleaned and sliced into rings 1/4 lb scallops 1/4 lb clams, scrubbed 1/4 lb mussels, scrubbed 4 C caulibits, or chopped cauliflower 1 T fresh parsley, minced juice and zest from 1 organic lemon 1 t cuttlefish ink

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t