Skip to main content

Bacalhoada (Portuguese Salt Cod Stew) #FishFridayFoodies


It's time for Fish Friday Foodies' November event. We are a group of seafood-loving bloggers, rallied by Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm, to share fish and seafood recipes on the third Friday of the month. And I am hosting this month's event.

I invited the group: "Weather is getting colder, let's inspire each other with soups and stews from around the world. Think Provençal Bouillabaisse, African Caldo de Peixe, Brazilian Moqueca, and more!" Here's what they made...

Our International Soup Pot

Bacalhoada 
Portuguese Salt Cod Stew

When I was debating on what to share, I knew we had just made Moqueca as a school project; I considered a version of Somlar Machu Ktiss (Cambodian Hot and Sour Coconut Soup); I couldn't track down fresh crab or I would have made Chilpachole de Jaiba; and Cullen Skink is a family favorite, but what made the decision for me: I had some salt cod in the fridge as I had just made Less than Traditional Pastéis de Bacalhau (Salt Cod Fritters) for our virtual #EattheWorld trip to Portugal. So, I decided to make Bacalhoada, a Portuguese Salt Cod Stew.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound salt cod fillets, preferably skinless and boneless
  • water
  • 3/4 to 1 C olive oil
  • milk 
  • 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
  • 2 pounds potatoes (I used sweet potatoes because that's what I had, but regular are traditional), sliced
  • 4 eggs, hard boiled and halved
  • 1 C olives (I used Kalamata olives because that's what I had)
  • freshly ground salt, to taste
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste

Procedure
Because the cod is salt-cured, it needs to be soaked ahead of cooking. Soak salt cod in cold water and refrigerate it for 24 hours. Change the water at least two or three times during that day.


Put salt cod in a saucepan. Add enough milk, water, or a mixture of both to just cover the fish. Bring mixture to a simmer and let simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the fish and set aside.


In a large casserole dish or pot (I used a Dutch oven), place a layer of sliced potatoes and onions. Break up the drained salt cod with your fingers and place them in a layer over the potatoes. Add in half of the olives. Drizzle with olive oil and repeat with another layer of potatoes, onions, cod, and olives.

Pour 1/2 C water over the top. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.


Garnish bowls with halved hardboiled eggs. Serve with sides of rice and salad.

+ A Wine Pairing

As a bonus, I am offering you a wine pairing today. I poured the 2017 Pieropan Soave Classico with the Bacalhoada. Before last year, I had never even heard of Soave. So, the first thing I realized as I was researching: Soave isn't a grape varietal; it's a geographical appellation - like Sangiovese is to Chianti. Made almost entirely, and sometimes completely, from the Garganega grape, Soave can contain up to a third Trebbiano di Soave. The Garganega vines date back to the Medieval times and is incredibly prolific. You'll also find it as the mainstay behind other appellations such as Gambellara, Bianco di Custoza, Colli Berici and Colli Euganei. Color me intrigued...I was more than a little excited to uncork this bottle as I've only tried one other Soave.

With a bright yellow pour, it has amazing aromas of both almond blossoms and marizan. On the palate, it was savory and fresh, with a zingy acidity and bright minerality. This was a fun pairing to go with the Portuguese soup.

Next month Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories is hosting us as we prepare The Feast of the Seven Fishes, an Italian American Christmas Eve tradition. I've done this for decades. Very excited to see what the group presents!

Comments

  1. We both went to Portugal! Thanks for the great theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's 2 salt cod recipes now and I'm still getting up my courage LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce