Skip to main content

Red, White, and Blue Chia Puddings #July4th

Today, Ellen of Family Around the Table asked the Festive Foodies to share some red, white, and blue recipes ahead of Independence Day. I thought I'd try my hand at a red, white, and blue chia pudding...without the food coloring, of course. 


So I considered what I could use that would make the liquids red and blue. Funny note, when I served these, my husband joked, "What's with the brown, white, and grey chia?" But, once he tasted it, he was a fan. First, here's what the rest of the crew is sharing...


Chia pudding is easy to make. I've shared 50-50 Chia Pudding, Pomegranate Chia Pudding, Coconut Chia Pudding, and it all started with Warrior Pudding. The proportion is 3T to every cup of liquid; you can get creative from there.

Ingredients

Red Chia Pudding
  • 3 T chia seeds
  • 1 C red juice (I used an organic beet-strawberry juice from Trader Joe's)
  • 1 T organic granulated sugar
  • Also needed: lidded mason jar that holds at least 2 C
White Chia Pudding
  • 3 T chia seeds
  • 1 C half and half
  • 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
  • 1 T organic granulated sugar
  • Also needed: lidded mason jar that holds at least 2 C
Blue Chia Pudding
  • 3 T chia seeds
  • 1 C blue/purple juice (I used a blueberry juice from Trader Joe's)
  • 1 T organic granulated sugar
  • Also needed: lidded mason jar that holds at least 2 C
For Serving
  • fresh blueberries
  • fresh raspberries

Procedure

For each chia pudding. Place granulated sugar in the bottom of a mason jar. Pour in the liquid. Swirl or stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add in the chia seeds, stirring so that they do not stick together in clumps. Place the lid of the jar on and shake vigorously. Place in the refrigerator overnight. You'll want to stir or shake the jar at least a few times.


To serve, spoon 1 to 2 T of the blue in the bottom of a serving glass. Add in a few blueberries. Spoon in the white, then the red. Top with fresh berries and serve immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...