As a second sweet for Nonna's brunch, the Enthusiastic Kitchen Elf and I made some Meyer lemon squares.
Crust Ingredients makes 2 pans of lemon squares
- 4 C flour
- 1 C organic powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 C butter (3 sticks)
- 2 to 3 T cold water
- 2 to 3 T limoncello (or more water if you don't want to use alcohol)
- zest from 1 organic Meyer lemon
- 8 eggs
- 3 C organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 t baking powder
- zest from 2 to 3 organic Meyer lemons
- 3/4 C freshly squeezed lemon juice
- organic powedered sugar for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place flour and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Rub in butter till the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. In the meantime, make the topping.
To make the lemon layer, beat together the eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a bowl till smooth and combined. Pour lemon mixture over the cooked base. Bake for another 25 minutes. Leave to cool. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Slice into squares.