Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Grilled Peach Cocktail of Heavenly Wisdom


When Deanna of Seduction in the Kitchen posed a challenge - create a recipe based on a cartoon. I asked, "By 'cartoon', do you mean anything animated?" Yep. " Done."

I went through all of our animated DVDs and thought about the scenes that might work. I found inspiration in this scene from Kung Fu Panda, under the sacred peach tree of heavenly wisdom.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

 

Here's the conversation, in case you can't see the clip above...
Oogway: [walking towards Po] Ah! I see that you have found the Sacred Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom!
Po: [Po turns around with a lot of peaches stuffed in his mouth] Is that what this is? I'm so sorry! I just thought it was a regular peach tree!
Oogway: I understand. You eat when you are upset.
Po: Upset? I'm not upset. Why, what makes you think I'm upset?
Oogway: So why are you upset?
Po: [sighs] I probably sucked more today than anybody in the history of kung fu. In the history of China. In the history of sucking!


Ingredients makes 2 cocktails

  • 1 organic peach, halved and pitted
  • fresh thyme sprigs
  • 3 oz bourbon (I used Knob Creek) - 1-1/2 oz per cocktail
  • 2 oz ginger syrup - 1 oz per cocktail
  • sparkling water for serving
  • ice

Procedure

Grill peach halves until they have nice char lines on them. It doesn't take too much time. I used an indoor grill pan, but you can use a real grill as well.


Dice the grilled peaches and place one half of the peach in the bottom of a cocktail shaker along with some fresh thyme leaves. Muddle until a thick puree forms. Add bourbon and ginger syrup. Stir to combine well. Strain cocktail through a small mesh sieve into serving glasses. Top off  with sparkling water. Add ice, if desired and garnish cocktails with fresh peach slices and more thyme sprigs. Imbibe and enjoy. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. A great recipe for a fun challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I actually had to re-make it since my first photos were on my dead laptop. Jake wasn't complaining!

      Delete

Share Buttons