Skip to main content

My L'Uovo di Seppia is Not 'Propio Perfetto' #FishFridayFoodies


It's time for the February Fish Friday Foodies' 2022 event. We are a group of seafood-loving bloggers, rallied by Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm, to share fish and seafood recipes on the third Friday of the month. Welcome to the February Fish Friday Foodies event. I am hosting and decided to ask the group to share recipes that use and focus on sustainable seafood. Here's what everyone is sharing.

The Sustainability of Squid
Whenever I purchase seafood, I rely on the Seafood Watch website and app run by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Additionally, the fish counter at our local Whole Foods labels what they sell as wild caught or farm raised so I can further discern between how the seafood is produced and fished. It turns out that there are many types of squid with almost a handful of Marine Stewardship Council-certified squid fisheries, so if you verify that, it's certified sustain and can be tracked bay to a well-managed fishery. Phew. I knew I could press ahead with the dish I planned to share: L'Uovo di Seppia

L'Uovo di Seppia

Let me start with this: my dish was a complete and total visual flop. It tasted great, but it didn't look anything like I intended it to look. So, I'll try, try, try, and try again until I get it correct. And I will share the recipe once I am happy with the process. If I weren't hosting this event this month, I would have bowed out. My l'uovo di seppia was definitely not propio perfetto.

In any case, this is a dish that was featured in the sixth episode of the Amazon limited series called The Dinner Club. If you haven't seen it famed Italian chef Carlo Cracco takes six trips across Italy - each with an Italian actor - to discover regional foods. Then, that actor makes dinner for the group upon their return. It was the trip to Sicily with Pierfrancesco Favino that inspired this post. 

I'll be honest: I haven't lived in Italy since 1997 and the last time I visited was 2001. Twenty years ago this summer. Mamma mia! But I was able to muddle my way through the show and even chuckle at some of their jokes. So my Italian is rusty but not completely gone. I am sure there is a way to turn on subtitles, but it just started playing in Italian without subtitles, so I went with it.

The episode has Carlo and Pier starting in Trapani where they make a lemon-olive oil emulsification with some of the salt and eat it with fresh bread while standing surrounded by the pyramids of salt. Then they do a tasting of bottarga which is the cured seminal fluid of bluefin tuna. Next they visit a convent and purchase the nun-made mandorlati, Sicilian almond cookies. They eat cannoli that weigh 200 grams each; they taste Rosolio, a liqueur made of prickly pears. And, the clip that inspired me into the kitchen was when Chef Pino Cuttaia shows them how to make his special L'Uovo di Seppia. The entire episoide made me miss Italy and all of the amazing food they have available to them.

But, as I mentioned, I won't share the recipe till I get it right. Sorry. So, that's a wrap for my February #FishFridayFoodies post. We'll be back in March when Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories has us discussing steamed fish. Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. Well, now we are all on the edges of our seats! Do let us know when you post it! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will all be impatiently awaiting this recipe Cam. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Caulibits Crni Rižoto (Croatian Black "Risotto") #Whole30

Last week, I participated in the Wine Pairing Weekend event 'New Year, New Wine." I paired Crni Rižoto with Dingac Vinarija’s Pelješac...and you can read my post: here . I was pouring a Croatian wine and decided to make a traditional Croatian dish. Every seafood restaurant in Croatia has a  Crni Rižoto  (black risotto) on its menu.  Crni Rižoto  is risotto dyed black with squid ink; I used cuttlefish ink for the same effect. However, since arborio rice is not Whole30 compliant, I made a version for myself that used caulibits instead of rice. Ingredients 1 C fish stock (or a combination of fish stock and vegetable stock) 1 T olive oil 1 medium shallots, peeled and minced 1 cloves garlic, crushed and minced 1/4 lb shrimp 1/4 lb squid tubes, cleaned and sliced into rings 1/4 lb scallops 1/4 lb clams, scrubbed 1/4 lb mussels, scrubbed 4 C caulibits, or chopped cauliflower 1 T fresh parsley, minced juice and zest from 1 organic lemon 1 t cuttlefish ink

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t