Skip to main content

Frangipane Tart with Pixie Tangerines #FoodNFlix


I have never seen Midnight in Paris, despite it being nearly a decade old. So when Debra of Eliot's Eats picked it as May's Food'N'Flix movie, I set out to find it. You can read her announcement: here.

I was able to find it and stream it on Amazon.* So, one evening, we settled in to watch this star-studded affair. A few minutes in, Jake says that he's watched it before and I hadn't been interested then. "But it wasn't an assignment back then," I protested. Thankfully, he relented and watched it with me again!

On the Screen
image from amazon.com

At the risk of sounding uncultured and anti-artsy-fartsy films, I’m not a fan of Woody Allen movies. His movies always seem to have this melancholy, self-centered feel.

This one was less so and I definitely enjoyed it. I won't give away too much of the film, but Gil (played by Owen Wilson) and his fiancée, Inez (played by Rachel McAdams), are in Paris piggy-backing on her parents' business trip. During the current timeline, you see them interacting within the moneyed circle of her parents and their friends. But every night at midnight, Gil magically goes back to the 1920s and enjoys the camaraderie and advice from all the artistic heavyweights of that era. He meets Dalí, Hemingway, Picasso, Toklas, the Fitzgeralds, Gertrude Stein, and others.

Needless to say, as he deepens his relationships with those individuals of substance, his relationship with the superficial and materialistic Inez begins to crumble. Midnight In Paris is a surreal romantic comedy peppered with clever comedic turns, a creative story, and a lovely portrait of the City of Lights.

On the Plate

While there isn't a ton of food in this movie, it is Paris. There are plenty of scenes in restaurants and bars. And they attend an al fresco rooftop wine tasting with bottles and bottles of wine though Inez's dad, John, bemoans, "I’ll always take a California wine [over a French one] but the Napa Valley is six thousand miles away."

Also, room service carts make an appearance in their hotel room laden with fruits and breads. But it's not a foodie movie in that sense. Inez does whine at one point: "Where are you taking me? You made me rush through dinner. Dad wasn’t finished with his profiteroles." So, I considered making profiteroles.


But I had also just received a package of Pixie tangerines and avocados from an old schoolmate who is growing both on her family farm in Ojai, California. I opted to make a French-style Frangipane Tart with Pixie Tangerines.


You can read more about Ojai Pixies on their website, but the highlights: they are sweet, seedless, and easy to peel and they are grown only on small family farms in and around Ojai. You can meet all the growers, but my friend owns the Inman Family Pixie Ranch. I've already ordered a second box from them! I wish I lived closer.

Ingredients makes one 9" tart, serves 12

Crust
  • 100 g organic granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
  • 80 g oil (I used canola oil)
  • zest of 1 Pixie tangerine, approximately 1 t
  • 280 g flour (I used all-purpose flour)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t orange blossom water
  • Also needed: 9" tart pan with removable bottom, parchment paper, rolling pin

Frangipane
  • 1 C ground almonds
  • 1/4 C organic granulated sugar
  • 1/4 C organic powdered sugar
  • 2/3 C melted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 t orange blossom water

Finishing
  • Pixie tangerines, rinsed, dried, and thinly sliced
  • organic granulated sugar for sprinkling

Procedure

Crust
In the bowl of a food processor, place all of the ingredients for the crust. Pulse a few times until the mixture comes together. You should have pea-sized crumbles. Turn the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined work surface. Knead until you have an elastic dough that doesn't stick to your hands.

Roll the dough ball into a circle and transfer it to the tart pan. Prick the bottom with a fork. Place the crust into the freezer to chill while the oven reaches temperature. Preheat oven to 350° F.

Bake for 20 minutes or until a light golden brown. In the meantime, make the frangipane. The crust should be firm and golden brown.


Frangipane
Mix everything together to form a paste. Once the tart crust is cooked, spread a layer of frangipane over the bottom. 


Finishing
Press Pixie slices into the frangipane and sprinkle the top with a dusting of sugar. Place the tart back into the oven. Bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes.


The frangipane should be risen and golden brown; the Pixie slices should be nicely enveloped in the top. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.


*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.


Comments

  1. This tart sounds lovely! I'm not a Woody Allen fan either, so I've been putting off watching this one until now...well, almost now. Soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camilla, this looks fantastic and so professional. I'm glad you enjoyed the film and I think her description of Gil "finding" himself in the 20s is spot on. Thanks for being the first one up and kicking off this round!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this film too, and was surprised as I am not a Woody Allen fan either. Your tart looks lovely and I'm jealous of your avocado/tangerine box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an insightful comment about how Gil spent time with people of substance. I like that. Love this dessert. I am not always successful at slicing citrus as you did, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce