Skip to main content

Every Wine Deserves a Second Look: Warmed Brie with Mulberry Chutney + Cleto Chiarli Lambrusco di Sorbara Vecchia Modena 2018 #ItalianFWT


This month, Jennifer of Vino Travels is hosting the Italian Food Wine Travel bloggers as we explore Lambrusco. If you are reading this early enough, feel free to jump in on the live Twitter chat - Saturday, June 1st, at 8am Pacific time. Just use the hashtag #ItalianFWT so we can see your comment. Here's the list of the other Lambrusco posts...


Every Wine Deserves a Second Look

My initial post - for this month's event - was going to be the pairing of Torta Barozzi + Cleto Chiarli Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro Amabile, but that wasn't as successful as I had hoped. The pairing was fine; the wine wasn't my favorite. So, I decided to try again and give Lambrusco a second look. 


I wanted to find out if there was something more serious and appealing to a wine that I previously found cheerfully fizzy yet cloyingly sweet. I read more about the different types of Lambrusco and I tracked down Cleto Chiarli Lambrusco di Castelvetro Vigneto Cialdini 2017 and Cleto Chiarli Lambrusco di Sorbara Vecchia Modena 2018. I'm glad I did!

You can read about our Third, but Not Final Lambrusco Exploration with the Lambrusco di Castelvetro Vigneto Cialdini 2017. I can honestly say that I am now a Lambrusco convert. And, given that all three of these were from the same vintner, I also see the range of the varietal. It's not the sweet frothy pour I remembered from my 20s. Well, it's not just the sweet frothy pour I remember from my 20s. This is a wine to be explored and taken seriously. Thanks to Jennifer of Vino Travels for making sure I did just that. Grazie mille, Jen.

Cleto Chiarli Lambrusco di Sorbara 
Vecchia Modena 2018

Made by the same vintner as my previous Lambrusco, this one was exactly what I had hoped - complex, aromatic, and dry. I brought this over to a dinner party as an apéritif and poured it with a warmed brie topped with mulberry chutney.

This Lambrusco was a silky delight with modest bubbles and a racy acidity. On the nose, I got florals and berries. But on the tongue, the notes were a combination of sweet, citrus, and spice. It was beautifully balanced and I am glad that I gave Lambrusco another chance.

Warmed Brie with Mulberry Chutney

I love serving warmed brie with a spiced fruit chutney. And I happened to have two pounds of organic mulberries from Frog Hollow Farm, so that's what I used. These are Pakistan mulberries and most were over two inches long. They resemble raspberries in flavor with a slightly more complex sweetness. We love them when we can get our hands on them.

Ingredients makes 1 pint jar plus a little extra
Chutney
  • 2 pounds fresh organic mulberries (substitute for 1 pound raspberries + 1 pound blackberries, if needed)
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
  • 1" knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 teaspoon ground curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup organic dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • juice from 1 organic lemon
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper

Brie
  • 1 brie round
  • also needed: parchment paper, baking sheet, baguette slices for serving

Procedure

Chutney
Place all of the ingredients - except lemon juice, salt and pepper - in a large pan. Stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.


Stir frequently. Cook at a gentle simmer until the mixture turns dark, jammy and shiny. Stir in the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you are going to use it immediately, set aside. If you are using it later, place in a sterilized jar and refrigerate until ready to use. Use within a week.


Brie
Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Place brie round on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Heat for 10 minutes. The brie should be warmed. If you prefer it oozy, leave it in there for another 2 to 4 minutes.

Heap chutney on top and serve with slices of baguette.


Remember: next month I will be hosting the #ItalianFWT crew as we celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the Prosecco Superiore DOCG. Stay tuned for more about that. Cin cin.

Comments

  1. Camilla! How did you happen to have 2 lbs of organic mulberries from Frog Hollow just laying around??? I barely found a couple pint sized baskets last year for $10 each and spread them on paper towels so they would last in my fridge a little longer. That is one heck of a chutney, and that brie could not be happier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I am always on the hunt for oddball ingredients! Yes, the brie was happy.

      Delete
  2. Cleto Chiarli Lambrusco di Sorbara Vecchia Modena 2018 seems to be a top pick of the group and it must be wonderful with the warm brie and mulberry chutney!This is the first time I see a fresh mulberry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I've had dried white mulberries, but never fresh ones. These were a treat!

      Delete
  3. I was so pleasantly surprised by this wine as well. I am definitely making that chutney but probably with different berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would go well with any kind of berry! Let me know if you try it.

      Delete
  4. That looks really delightful and I'm glad you found Lambrusco wines to change your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that we tried all the same wines. My 2nd and 3rd were basically a tie, but I think I needed the amabile after a full day of tasting so my palate appreciated it ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have some "weed" mulberry trees in our yard, do I need to look for berries sometime this summer???? I'm glad you found a dry Lambrusco you like, the amabile ones are a whole different animal, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe do some reading about mulberries. I don't know if ALL varieties are edible. These were Pakistani mulberries from an organic farm. If you know the varietal of your "weed", and it's edible, definitely take a look for berries!

      Delete
  7. When I was a kid we had mulberries around and we smashed them and 'painted' with them. I think they may deserve a second look too. I can imagine how compatible these flavors were. Well done, Cam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your Lambrusco trials but I loved the mulberry chutney! I've never heard of this type before and am totally committed to finding some here in NYC before I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just returned from a week holiday in Osoyoos. This is my second year visiting this vineyard. What can I say but wow! As an interior designer in the Fraser Valley- the views from the vineyard are both great in and out. This is a must visit each year for me. Last year- Afraid of the Dark was my favourite. This year- Tempranillo 2011 is being enjoyed as I write this. Thanks for letting others know about this very classy and friendly vineyard that I enjoy so much.Organic wine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce