Skip to main content

Sips Worth Sharing #WinePW

Today the Wine Pairing Weekend crew is posting about Giving the Gift of Wine. You can read David's preview on Cooking Chat. It's timely as we race headlong into the holiday season.


As Christmas approaches, I always tend to have extra wine bottles on hand...in case people drop by and I want to uncork something or in case we are invited somewhere and I need a quick hostess present. Also, wines are a favorite gift for most of my circle. So, there's lots and lots of wine swapping.


But this Wine Pairing Weekend event was the first time I actually stopped to think about why I pick the bottles that I pick as well as which bottles I share the most.

Giving the Gift of Wine
Here are the topics the #winePW crew will be covering: 

Be sure to check on Saturday morning for these great articles! We will also hold a live Twitter chat on Saturday, Dec. 9., 11 am Easter Time / 8 a.m. Pacific. Just tune into the #winePW hashtag on Twitter at that time to join the conversation. You can check out past and future #winePW topics by visiting this page.


Sips Worth Sharing
I put out a call for favorite bottles and came up with a list of bottles I need to track down. But what I decided to share with this post boils down to this: share sips and bottles that, first, you have actually tried and, second, have a great story you can share with the recipient. That's it.

And the best gifts are the bottles you actually want to squirrel away for yourself! A few of my favorites are bottles from Hundred Suns (it's like Bottled Poetry), Donkey & Goat (love that they have an 'esoteric' category in their wine list), Pierce Ranch Vineyards (a Spanish and Portuguese emphasis right here on California's central coast), and I. Brand & Family Wines (local-to-me winemaker who was named by Wine Enthusiast Magazine to its "40 Under 40: American Tastemakers" in 2012...and, yes, it was well-deserved). Additionally, I always have a case of prosecco ready at this time of year because Italian bubbles always make me smile and it's a good bet that almost everyone enjoys a good bottle of sparkling wine.

Comments

  1. I'm taking your suggestions to heart and will try to track down a few of the bottles you've mentioned. Cheers, Camilla. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren. I had a busy day yesterday, so I'm just getting around to reading, commenting, and sharing this morning.

      Delete
  2. Great list! I'm working on a story that will likely feature Donkey and Goat - esoteric style, how very fun and funky. Happy Holidays to you amd your family, Camilla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I love, love, love Donkey & Goat. But you probably already knew that. Have you connected with Jared?

      Delete
  3. Love the list! And I really need to try wines from Donkey & Goat - I've heard sooo many good thing about the wines. Thanks, Camilla! Happy holidays to you and the sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these labels are new to me. I have been intrigued by the Donkey&Goat since you last wrote about it. I'm keeping my eyes open for these brands. Merry Christmas Cam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check out this list. I'm not familiar with them. Always good to have bubbly on hand, especially prosecco

    ReplyDelete
  6. Short and sweet, and good advice. Happy holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I am such a Donkey & Goat fan! I love that you keep a case of Prosecco on hand for friends dropping in. Wonderful hospitality. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good tips! And I will try that Donkey & Goat some time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce