Skip to main content

Bizarre Foods SEM

For the past few years, I've only taught SEM - Schoolwide Enrichment Model - once a year. I used to teach every term and I've taught everything from Italian to ocean conservation. Most recently, I've focused on cooking classes. But wrangling a dozen kids for six weeks at ninety minutes per class on a Friday afternoon is less than relaxing, especially when there are knives and hot stoves involved.

The only good thing: all the kids want to be there. They chose the class. However, it's still a lot of work. Hats off to all you teachers. Seriously. I am in bewildered awe.

Jenn and I just taught 'The Science of Cooking with a Food Writer & an Engineer' last term; I thought I would be done teaching for the year. But, when I realized that this was the last time I would be able to have both D and R in class together, I had the boys help me pick a topic. Inspired by Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Foods", we're going to traverse the globe looking at bizarre foods to Americans that are common place wherever they are consumed regularly.


So, for the next six weeks, watch out for some adventurous eats. This week, we're headed to the Philippines. No, I am not making them eat balut. I don't even eat balut.

Stay tuned...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...