Skip to main content

Easter Egg Terrine

This was as delectable as it was gorgeous. I didn't make this lovely dish - Ulla did! -but here's my usual recipe for a veggie terrine...just remember to pick contrasting colors for an eye-catching dish.

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a 2-pound loaf pan and line it with waxed paper or parchment. Keeping all the vegetables separate steam them until tender. Drain off as much liquid as possible, the more the better. Finely chop each vegetable and season well with salt, pepper, and coarsely chopped herbs. Beat the eggs and divide equally among the vegetables - mix well. Place the vegetables in contrasting layers in the pan taking care to smooth each layer so that the colours will stay separate. Cover the tin of layered vegetables with a sheet of lightly oiled wax paper

Stand the filled loaf tin in a roasting dish and add sufficient boiling water to come two thirds of the way up the sides of the tin. Don't let the tray dry out during the cooking time - add boiling water if required. Bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes until a sharp knife comes out clean when inserted. Remove the wax paper and cook for a further 10 minutes. The terrine should cool for 10 minutes before turning out. To remove the terrine run a knife carefully round the edge of the baking dish and invert onto a suitable serving dish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...