Skip to main content

Foodie Reads 2016: TEA-rrific Inspiration


In this short month - and a crazy one at that - I haven't had a chance to knock out very many books for the Foodie Reads 2016 Challenge. But this is the one that I have read, throughout several evenings this week, while sipping a cup of tea: Culinary Tea: More Than 150 Recipes Steeped in Tradition from Around the World by Cynthia Gold and Lise Stern.*

My boys and I are huge tea-lovers. Huge. We love Tea Tasting in Chinatown. My little one doesn't leave for his early algebra class without a stainless mug full of tea. And my husband just recently started brewing his own kombucha. More on that soon because it's amazing.

And, truth be told, cooking with tea isn't new to me. I've poached pears in Earl Grey, folded mint tea into shortbread, made Matcha Ice Cream, used Earl Grey in brownies, marbled eggs in black tea, and poached cod in green tea...just to name a few. Lapsang Souchong adds smokiness to dishes without using, say, bacon!


But Culinary Tea is over-the-top inspiring. It's an extraordinary resource for any one interested in tea, both in drinking and cooking with it. Like all cookbooks it includes recipes, obviously, but the skillful story-telling transports the reader to the countries from where the recipes came. The photographs are fantastic - love the images comparing unoxidized and lightly oxidized tea leaves and the styles of black and aged teas - and the recipes are easy to follow. Another benefit: most of the ingredients are not hard to source.

Using tea as an ingredient in a recipe affords the dish an alluring taste and, often, a picturesque presentation. I highly recommend Culinary Tea and think it would be a wonderful addition to the cookbook collection of any tea lover and, really, any cook. We loved this Green Tea-Poached Shrimp.


I'll be sharing a few recipes - think Steak au Poivre et Thé, Genmai Cha Vegetable Soup, and Tea-Rubbed Short Ribs - soon. Stay tuned.

*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.



Here's what everyone else is reading this month: February 2016 Foodie Reads Challenge.

Comments

  1. When Stacy was in town here in Michigan I met her at her friend's tea shoppe which led me to making a savory dish using tea. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I can't wait to dig into some of the recipes.

      Delete
  2. I just requested this on interlibrary loan. I haven't cooked much with tea before with the exception of some chai cookies. I'm looking forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...