Skip to main content

Rhubarb Brownies


Thanks to a message - and link -  from my cousin Jo, I had the Cooking Channel's '25 Ways to Use Rhubarb' rolling around in my head this evening. Rhubarb season is fleeting and I just happened to have picked up an armful of rhubarb at the store.

I've tried rhubarb a lot of different ways: Lobster with Rhubarb Sauce Over Braised Greens, Rhubarb Pavlovas, Rhubarb Heart Tarts, and even a Rhubarb Barbeque Sauce. But I have never thought to mix it with chocolate. That seems to me a waste of good rhubarb; I figured the chocolate would completely overrun the rhubarb. Still, I decided to give it a try.

Rhubarb Compote
2 C rhubarb, sliced into 1/2" piece
1/4 C water
3 T organic brown sugar

Place the ingredients together in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 10 minutes.




My Favorite Brownies
4 large eggs
1 C organic granulated sugar
1 C organic brown sugar
1 T unsulphered molasses
1 t ground ancho chili
8 oz melted butter
1-1/4 C unsweetened cocoa
2 t pure vanilla extract
1/2 C white whole wheat flour
1/2 t pink Himalaya salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square pan. In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients, except flour, and mix to combine. Add flour and stir till just moistened. Add in 1 cup rhubarb compote and 1 cup dark chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick method. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.

I served this with a cordial of port from Poetic Cellars. The verdict: chocolate and rhubarb are not good bedfellows. So says my husband. I have to agree.

Chocolate by itself is fabulous. Rhubarb straight is delicious. But the two together...meh...not my favorite. Give it a try and tell me what you think. Comment below or email me at constantmotioncamilla [at] gmail [dot] com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...