Skip to main content

Tropical Salsa Fresca #CulinaryCam

 

I have heard this called salsa crudo (raw sauce), salsa fresca (fresh sauce), 'chopped' salsa, and even some version of pico de gallo though I tend to see that as just tomato based. But I wanted to share this process for our Culinary Cam YouTube channel along with pork carnitas, charred salsa, guacamole, and homemade corn tortillas. 


This is definitely one of those processes versus recipes I always talk about. Use whatever fruits and citrus you have on-hand. For this version I used fresh mango and fresh pineapple, so I'm calling this a tropical salsa fresca. 

You can watch the video here...or there.


Ingredients makes approximately 2 to 3 cups salsa
  • 1-1/2 cups diced fruit (I used 1/2 cup mango and 1 cup pineapple)
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1 jalapeño, deseeded and diced (adjust for spiciness, as needed)
  • juice from 1 to 2 limes or lemons
  • salt to taste

Procedure

Place all of the ingredients together into a bowl. Toss to coat with the citrus juices. Let stand so the flavors can meld together and the onions will soften.


You'll see this tropical salsa fresca on our pulled pork carnitas soft tacos!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...