Skip to main content

Homemade Mayonnaise #KitchenMatrixCookingProject


Today we are continuing the Kitchen Matrix Project, after Mark Bittman's Kitchen Matrix cookbook...and wrapping up our second month of posting. You can read about it: here. I'm very excited about the dishes and the bloggers who are joining me. This month, Wendy at A Day in the Life in the Farm picked the recipes. I can't wait to follow along with her choices.

This week, She picked 'Condiments + 7 Ways' for the group which means we could make ketchup, chimichurri, teriyaki sauce, sweet and hot pepper relish, corn and tomato relish, barbecue sauce, and mayonnaise...along with any variations or adaptations that we needed or wanted.

The Other Condiments


Homemade Mayonnaise

I opted to make a homemade mayonnaise this week because I don't really like store-bought mayo, but I do like it when I make it. I need to do this more often. Also, I like making homemade ketchup when I have a ton of fresh tomatoes; and chimichurri is on our table at least once a month as it is.

Ingredients
  • 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
  • 2 t mustard
  • 1 C oil (he suggests a neutral oil, I used olive oil not extra virgin)
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice


Procedure 
Put egg yolk, mustard, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Turn the food processor on low and add the olive oil in a thin stream through the access chute. Once an emulsion forms, add the oil a little bit faster until it's all incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This stores in the fridge for up to a week. Makes approximately 1 C.

Comments

  1. I've never made my own mayo! Yours looks so smooth and creamy! Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost made the mayo. Glad I changed it up. Excited that we all have something different this time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...