Skip to main content

Berenjenas Con Miel (Eggplants with Black Honey)


I am so grateful for generous friends who are traveling epicures. Thanks to Susan and family for the goodies from their summer travels to Spain. They inspired a tasty Spanish feast tonight.


We made Patatas Aliñadas and gluten-free olive oil brownies with the olive oil - recipes to follow for those - and Berenjenas Con Miel with the honey for dinner tonight. Gracias e besos!


Susan had sent me a message over the weekend to come pick up a gift in her classroom this morning. One of the treats inside was a jar of Miel de Caña that's from the Malaga area where her mom lives. Frigiliana is a small hill town in the Axarquia region.

After a little research I realized that it's not actually black honey. It's a reduced sugar cane syrup; it's molasses! Sugar cane has a long history in the area. It's said that Darius, the Persian king, discovered sugar cane and described it as "a cane that gives honey without the intervention of bees."


I wanted to make a dish that came from the same region as the Miel de Caña. I settled on Berenjenas con Miel which is popular in the areas around Malaga and Granada. And we love eggplant, so it was a perfect dinner for us. I did make it gluten-free by using a mixture of sorghum and rice flours for my breading.


Ingredients

  • 1 large organic eggplant, sliced into 1/4" coins
  • 1 to 2 t salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 C sorghum flour
  • 1/4 C brown rice flour
  • 1 C olive oil
  • Miel de Caña for serving

Procedure
Put the eggplant slices on large platter and lightly salt each one on both sides. Let stand for at least 20 minutes to draw out the moisture. Rinse off the salt, then pat the eggplant coins dry.

In  large, flat-bottom pan, heat the olive oil until it sizzles. While the oil heats, mix the flours together and on a plate. Press the eggplant coins into the flour and shake off the excess. Cook them in the hot oil for two to three minutes per side. Once cooked, remove them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.

To serve, arrange the slices on a large serving platter. Drizzle generously with the Miel de Caña. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with a high quality olive oil. Serve immediately with more Miel de Caña on the side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...