Skip to main content

Blueberry Picking at Harkins Slough

I have always wanted to pick blueberries! We pick olallies every year, but I've never had the chance to pick blues. Then, yesterday, I saw an email from our CSA farm, High Ground Organics: "You are invited to a Blueberry U-pick at High Ground Organics tomorrow 10am to 1pm." Oh, yeah!

Jake had to do homework, so I took the mini-boys up to Harkins Slough and we picked almost 5 pounds of blueberries. What a beautiful location!


Jeanne gave us a quick orientation and in we went...


They grow four varieties of blueberries in the blueberry patch - Southmoon, O’Neal, Misty, and Jewel. The Jewels were giant-sized and gorgeous. But we found that we preferred one of the other varieties. They were smaller but much, much sweeter.


The boys were great helpers. In fact, they did almost all the picking. I just took photos and enjoyed the sunshine.



Of course they did do some tasting along the way... R said that one of the varieties tasted like a peach to him. Interesting! It was sweet and summery. I wouldn't necessarily have said 'peach', but it was delicious.


 Now we just need to figure out what we're going to do with our bounty.
 

Thanks, High Ground Organics, for opening up your blueberry patch! We had an amazing time and can't wait to create some goodies...that is, if any survive our incessant munching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...