Skip to main content

Riley's Homemade Ricotta


Next on my Precise Kitchen Elf's agenda: homemade ricotta. I think the cheese kit I got for him from Standing Stone Farms is a hit...for all of us! He loves to measure and read directions. Wow. Where did he get that skill?! Certainly not from me.
One of the most important things the boys have learned in our kitchen adventures: ingredients matter. So, Riley sought out some raw cow's milk from Schoch Dairy in Salinas. And he got to work.

1/2 gallon whole milk
1/4 C organic heavy cream
1/2 t citric acid
1 t fleur de sel

In a large pot, combine the milk, cream, and citric acid and half the salt. Stir in an up and down motion to combine.

Slowly heat the milk mixture to 184 degrees F. You will start to see the curds rising and resting on the top. Occastionally scrape the bottom and side of the pot with a silicone spatula to prevent the milk from scorching.

Cover the pot and let the curds rest for 15 minutes off the heat.

Place a cheese cloth in a colander, over a pot, spoon the curds into the cloth and let drain for an hour.

Gently stir in the remaining salt and tie up the cheesecloth. Place the ricotta in the refrigerator to drain overnight.




The ricotta was tangy, salty and had a magnificent texture. Nice job, Riley! You'll see this tonight in some ricotta gnocchi that he made for dinner. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...