Skip to main content

Belize: Cooking Around the World with Camilla (CATWWC)

We are continuing with the 'B's in our cooking around the world adventure, venturing to Belize for dinner tonight. I found two simple recipes that could be whipped up while helping the boys with homework and still feeling behind after our glorious four day weekend.

One ingredient is ubiquitous in Belizean cuisine: the coconut. They use every part of the coconut. The dried husk is used for stoking the cooking fires; the water, milk, or cream is a drink or the base of sauce; the meat is grated for a number of uses. I used coconut milk in the rice and beans and to simmer the fish. Yum-mo.


Belizean Rice and Beans

brown basmati rice
red kidney beans, cooked
coconut milk
water
minced garlic
pink Himalaya salt
flower pepper

Mix all the ingredients in a medium pot and cook the way you would usually cook rice.


Belizean Fish Stew


fish
coconut milk
tomatoes
fresh herbs
minced garlic
paprika
pink Himalaya salt

flower pepper

In a large flat-bottomed pan, bring the coconut milk to a simmer. Stir in the minced garlic and lay the fish pieces in the pan. Top with sliced tomatoes. When the fish is just about cooked - firm to the touch - season with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. Traditionally they use fresh thyme in this stew; I had fresh mint and fresh parsley. Serve with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice over the top.

Enjoy my tabletop travels. Join me in whipping up a dish or two. If you do cook something from one of these countries, I'd love to hear about it. Feel free to comment on the posts themselves or email me at constantmotioncamilla at gmail dot com.

This Knight of the Global Table Adventure is signing off for now. We're traveling to West Africa as Benin is up next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...