Skip to main content

Dreikönigskuchen (German Epiphany Bread)


For our second Epiphany treat, I made a Dreikönigskuchen (German Epiphany Bread) though I should probably write 'Dreikönigskuchen-inspired' since I skipped the rum-soaked raisins on the inside and the candied cherries and glaze on the outside. Still it was delicious and thoroughly enjoyed by all.

2 C white whole wheat flour
1/4 C barley flour
2 T active dry yeast
1/3 C organic raw sugar
1/4 cup warmed milk
7 T melted butter
dash of pink Himalaya salt
1/2 t groundcardamom
1/2 t ground cinnamon
2 eggs

Place the flours into a bowl, make a hole in the middle, put the yeast into it and mix it with a pinch of sugar and some of the lukewarm milk. Dust the mixture with flour, cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes. Add the melted butter, salt, lemon, cardamom, cinnamon egg, remaining milk and flour to the flour and yeast mixture. Knead dough till smooth.

When the dough begins to form a ball, form dough into a log. Pinch off large tablespoons of dough and form balls from each.

Butter a springform pan with a central tube. Place dough into the pan. Cover the pan and let rise in a warm place. Brush the dough with the beaten yolk and place in pre-heated oven (350 degrees F) for approximately 30 minutes. Cool cake thoroughly before removing from pan. I served with a dusting of powdered sugar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...