Skip to main content

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream...for Ici

Though this wasn't a planned stop, the line winding up the block made up stop to look. And we are so glad that we did. Ici in Berkeley's Elmwood area was an foodie's ice cream dream come true.

First, they make everything there in the kitchen and work with local, organic farmers to get the freshest and in-season ingredients. Second, all of their packaging and servingware is compostable: the ice cream cups and bowls are made from baggase which is derived from sugar cane; spudware spoons are made from potato starch and soy oil; and their clear plastic cups - for the free sparkling water - is made from a corn by-product.

And then there's the ice cream itself...amazingly unique concoctions that were as tasty as they were lovely. Voluptuous mounds of ice cream in delicate shades whose subtle flavors inspired moans of appreciation from everyone in the family. Wow.
I chose a scoop of pink peppercorn with a scoop of candied blood orange. Dylan opted for a chocolate-mint sorbet. Riley selected vanilla bean while Jacob tried a scoop of chai and a scoop of chocolate. We were in ice cream heaven.

Dare I saw that it was better than the San Crispino gelateria in Rome? Maybe it wasn't quite that good. But it's close.

Comments

  1. Oooh, I'm going to have to try that the next time we're up there! Have you been to Bi-Rite in the SF Mission district? It, likewise, has a line going around the block, but it moves quickly and is well worth the wait. The Sam's Sundae is drizzled with Bergamot Olive Oil and is sprinkled with Maldon sea salt. It's one of the best things I've ever eaten!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...