Skip to main content

Burn that Crap! Our End of 2021 Festivities


Just like any other holiday, I try to come up with a theme and a menu. Last year, because D had studied Japanese language and culture, we did: Osechi Ryori おせち料理 (Japanese New Year’s Food). Typically, we include some fortuitous feasting that includes good luck foods from around the world as well as some other traditions meant to end the year on a good note and launch into the new one.

This year, as we are looking at twenty months of the on-going global pandemic and some countries are entering their fourth wave of the virus, my patience has been tested and I am failing. Let's add to that that two good friends have lost their mothers to COVID. I decided that my theme was: Burn That Crap! And our menu was going to include things that were all set on fire or torched in some way.


Not edible, but my favorite burning New Year's Eve tradition is the Ecuadorian Años Viejos: Torching the Old Year to Toast the New One. Usually we make one man; this year, we each made one. I guess we had a lot of grievances to burn. R's Pocky Man only had one complaint - one class, one exam, and one specific question. D's Pico Head also only held one: COVID. Jake and I filled our Años Viejos with multiple gripes of which we need to let go.



I went on to serve a Flaming Gin and Tonic...


...Shrimp Saganaki...


...here's the sauce for our Crêpes Suzette...


...and we finished up Torched Marshmallow Cookie Sandwiches.


Stay tuned for the recipe posts for these dishes.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...