Skip to main content

Boquerones Asparagus Salad #FantasticalFoodFight


I love the Fantastical Food Fight coordinated by Sarah of Fantastical Sharing of Recipes. For more information about the event, click here.




I haven't been very good at participating, but this month, I couldn't resist. Our theme for the month is: asparagus. And those are always the harbinger of Spring, for me. So, I jumped right in as Spring is my favorite season.

The Asparagus Party
Inlinkz Link Party

Boquerones Asparagus Salad
Simple salads are a mainstay of our Spring and Summertime meals. Fresh ingredients, some protein, a pop of flavor, and we're set. So, when I picked up some fresh boquerones - anchovies! - I knew I wanted to feature them in a salad. This isn't even really a recipe, but I hope it inspires you to mix and match some fresh produce and embrace the season.


Ingredients serves 4 as a sidedish or 2 as an entree
  • 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and blanched
  • 4 C organic wild arugula
  • 12 boquerones
  • flake salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • manchego cheese for serving

Procedure
On a serving platter, place the arugula as a base. Top with asparagus. Arrange boquerones on top of the asparagus. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. And, just before serving, shave manchego cheese over the top. Serve immediately.

Comments

  1. Perfect salad to toast the beginning of spring! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have to pass on the anchovies. I do make a pasta sauce with anchovies that is good but they are all melted into the sauce for flavor. Love asparagus salads though

    ReplyDelete
  3. So light and definitely perfect for spring (or all year round haha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simple and I love the peppery arugula in there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...