Skip to main content

'Last Tango' Peachy Sticky Rice


It's time for October's Improv Cooking Challenge hosted by Lesa of Edesia's Notebook. I don't know where the weeks are going.

The idea of this challenge: we are assigned two ingredients and are tasked to create a recipe with those two things.

October's assigned ingredients are actually colors. In  the spirit of Halloween, we're making things that are: orange and black.

When I was at a farmers' market this weekend, I saw a pile of peaches called 'Last Tango.' I knew those would be the last peaches I would see till next summer. So, I decided to use them in my orange and black dish. I opted to make one of my favorite Thai dishes using forbidden rice. Note this is not a traditional Khao Neeo Mamuang; it's my own fast and loose interpretation with the last of summer peaches instead of not-local mangoes. I love the nuttiness of the forbidden rice...and I love that name! Plus, it is delicious!

Ingredients
  • 2 C Forbidden rice*
  • 2 C coconut cream
  • 2 C water
  • 1/2 C organic granulated sugar
  • 1 t pure vanilla bean paste*
  • 4 T coconut flakes, toasted
  • ripe 'Last Tango' peaches, sliced for serving (use whatever peaches you can find)

Procedure
Place all of the ingredients - except for the coconut flakes and the peaches - in a large saucepan that has a lid. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and let steam until the rice is tender. If the rice is not cooked, but all the liquid has evaporated, add in more water. Once the rice is cooked, fold in the coconut flakes. Spoon it out on individual plates and top with sliced peaches.

Here's what the rest of the Improv crew made with their orange and black ingredients...



*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.

 

Comments

  1. ooooooooooh -- yummy! I never thought to use black rice as a sweet. What a beautiful presentation, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! Black rice, coconut, AND coconut cream. Double yum there. What is not to love. I don't think I have ever had black rice as a sweet treat; only savory. A must try for sure. And since I am the only one in my family that likes black rice it would be all for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...