Skip to main content

Improv Cooking Challenge: Pretzel-Crusted Chicken with Maple-Mustard Sauce


It's been a couple of months since I participated in the Improv Cooking Challenge hosted by Lesa of Edesia's Notebook. I don't know where the weeks are going.

The idea of this challenge: we are assigned two ingredients and are tasked to create a recipe with those two things. July's assigned ingredients: pretzels and mustard.

I thought about making homemade soft pretzels - like these - and homemade mustard - like this. But, in the end, I decided to bread some chicken thighs with crushed pretzels and drizzle it with a mustard sauce. The boys devoured it. I think it's a winner!

Ingredients serves 4
Chicken
  • 4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
  • 1/2 C flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 C pretzels (makes about 1 C crushed pretzels)
  • 8 T butter
  • splash of olive oil
Sauce
  • 1/2 C organic yellow mustard
  • 2 T maple syrup
  • 1 T vinegar (I used organic apple cider vinegar)

Procedure
Chicken
Crush pretzels. Melt butter in a splash of olive oil. In the meantime, dredge chicken thighs in flour, then dip them in beaten egg.


Press the chicken thighs into crushed pretzels on both sides. Cook in melted butter until browned and cooked through. While the chicken cooks, make the sauce.


Sauce
Whisk all the sauce ingredients together until smooth. To serve: drizzle the sauce on top of the pretzel-crusted chicken.

Comments

  1. Oh, oh, oh! I so love butter pretzels! And your maple mustard sauce sounds so yummy -- what a delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious- i bet the sauce was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, Camilla! The chicken looks so crispy and crunchy and I love how you added maple to the mustard sauce. Glad you were able to join us this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the chicken looks so delicious. And the sauce, I would have never thought of maple. Sounds really good and something I am going to try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...