Skip to main content

Food Matters Project: Fig-Olive Bruschetta


I have been sitting out for the last few weeks of the Food Matters Project because the end of the school year always seems to kick my tail with obligatory things while all of my fun projects get shoved to the background.

But when a friend and I decided to split up dishes for our own Mothers' Day feast and I took appetizers, I knew that I could squeeze in this week's Bittman assignment - Bruschetta Rethought - which was selected by Laura of Chef Laura at Home.

First, an Italian lesson, because nothing makes me want to walk out of an Italian restaurant more than when the waiter pronounces something incorrectly. Sorry. Just a pet peeve of mine.

This dish is pronounced brews-Keh-ta not brew-SHeh-ta. We were recently at an Italian deli and I ordered two drinks for my kids - one aranciata and one limonata. The man behind the counter said, "Wow, I've worked here for 6 years and you are the first person who has ever pronounced those correctly. God, I hate how people butcher the Italian language." Glad to know I'm not alone in that.

Second, click here for what our week's hostess did with her bruschetta. And to see what the other bloggers created, click here and look in the comments section.

I used an artisan loaf that had large chunks of salt pressed into the top before it was baked, so I didn't add any salt to my toppings. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Slice your bread into thick slices and broil the bread - or grill it - until it is lightly browned on both sides.


Typically you would rub the bread with fresh garlic and then top it. I added fresh garlic to my topping so I skipped rubbing garlic on the bread. I did spread a thin layer of marscarpone on the toasts before topping them.


I love things that are little more than stir-and-go yet are packed with flavor. This is one of those things. In a large mixing bowl, I stirred together...

chopped dried figs
diced green olives
sliced garlic cloves
fresh oregano
freshly ground pepper
Splash of olive oil

Then I served the bruschetta with a rhubarb syrup-champagne cocktail.

Cheers and happy mothers' day to all the moms - of boys, girls, critters, or any combination of those!!

Comments

  1. Reading the ingredients in your toppings now makes me wish I picked one of the Bittman choices... figs and olives together sound so exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious and I love your cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Figs- why did I not think of that?!? Great idea- this will definitely have to be redone when figs are in season around here. Thanks for the great idea & yay to pronouncing things correctly! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This sounds absolutely delicious, I'm going to need to find a way to get some figs and olives into a meal pronto!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...