I was on a cookie roll this weekend. I was recipe testing for my Jammie Dodgers and tried different proportions of butter to sugar, different kinds of sugar, etc. So, I decided to make a batch in time for Valentines' Day. I had two different sized heart cutters and swapped in strawberry jam for a nice red hue versus the inky purple of the marionberry jam. I also added in a smidge of cardamom for a more interesting cookie. These, flavor-wise, came out on top for my three!
- 3/4 C butter (1-1/2 sticks), slightly softened
- 1/4 C organic granulated sugar
- 1/4 C organic powdered sugar + more for finishing
- 1 egg
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 t ground cardamom
- jam for filling (I used strawberry)
- Also needed: cookie cutters in two different sizes to make the base and the window
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together with an hand mixer until lightened and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then fold in the flour and cardamom until it comes together as a ball. Some recipes said to chill the dough, mine was plenty stiff, so I just rolled them out.
Roll the dough out (I did mine in two batches) on a lightly floured surface. You want to try for between 1/4" and 1/2" thick.