Saturday, October 22, 2016

Diminutive Caramel Apples

When I spotted these teeny tiny apples at Whole Foods today, I thought: Caramel Apples! 


I grabbed some organic curly willow to make them look a little witchy. It's not that these are difficult to make...but I was testing to see if I wanted to make fifty of them for the MYP Halloween. Ummm...nope. I considered scaling it back to making enough for a smaller Halloween party. Nope again. But they are wonderfully festive, aren't they?

Ingredients makes 8

  • 8 small apples (I used Lady Apples)
  • curly willow branches
  • 2 T ginger syrup (I used Ginger People)
  • 2 T water
  • 1/2 organic granulated sugar
  • 1/4 C organic heavy cream
  • pinch vanilla salt or fleur de sel
  • 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
  • 2 T butter
  • Also needed: parchment paper


Procedure

Cut curly willow branches to your desired length. Carefully skewer your apples with the curly willow and set aside.

Caramel
Place the ginger, water, and sugar into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once all the sugar has melted, swirl the pan occasionally while the sugar continues to cook.

Cook until the sugar has reached a deep amber color. It should have a slightly nutty aroma and be almost a reddish brown. Add the butter and vanilla extract. Be careful because the caramel will bubble up. Whisk the butter into the caramel until completely melted.

Remove the pan from the heat and slowly pour the cream into the caramel. Again, take care because the mixture will bubble up again. Whisk until all of the cream has been incorporated and you have a smooth sauce. Add in the salt. Whisk to incorporate. Let the sauce cool for 10 to 15 minutes .


Assemble
Immediately dip and coat the apples completely. 


Place the dipped apples on parchment paper. Let set for at least an hour before serving. 


Have you made caramel apples? I've heard all sorts of horror stories about making sure they are completely dry. I even read of someone using sand paper to scuff the apple skin before adhering the caramel. These were delicious though. I might make them again. Maybe next year!

2 comments:

  1. What a great Halloween treat! I love the ginger in your caramel! Great use of the curly willow as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I am anti-corn syrup, so I use whatever other syrups I have and ginger is my favorite.

      Delete

Share Buttons