Pasta alla Norma is a simple but tasty and colorful recipe from Sicily. Named for Vincenzo Bellini's opera "Norma."
- 3 T olive oil + more for serving
- 1 T butter
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 8 to 10 tomatoes, diced
- 1 to 2 T fresh basil, chopped + whole leaves for garnish
- 1 t fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 C whole milk ricotta
- freshly ground salt
- freshly ground pepper
- gluten-free pasta
- parmigiano reggiano for serving
Lightly salt the eggplant cubes and let stand for at least 30 minutes. Melt butter in olive oil over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until softened but not browned, approximately 2 minutes.
While the sauce simmers, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Serve individual portions topped with a fresh basil leaf.