Friday, July 1, 2016

Salt and Pepper Strip Steak Over Caramelized Onions and Fennel #sponsor

Because I had used Certified Angus Beef® Brand in my #BurgerMonth post back in May - I made Kheema Aloo Burgers with Fresh Mango Chutney Wrapped in Garlic Naan - I received a lovely thank you gift of four strip steaks from them. Fun!

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Certified Angus Beef . All opinions are my own.

Yesterday afternoon, my phone rang in my office. "Hey!" my husband started the conversation. "You just received a cooler with 4 steaks in it."

Okay.

"Are they for a blogging event?"

They're a thank you gift for a previous blogging event

"I'm thawing one out for dinner. Okay? What are you going to do with it."

I'll come up with something.

As promised, the steak was thawed and ready for me to create something when I got home from work.

A quick note: while we love beef - and really all kinds of meat - we don't eat what I'm going to call American-sized portions. I think most Americans would probably have cooked one steak per person; we cooked one, shared it, savored it, and filled up our plates with saffron rice, steamed broccoli, and green salad. So, I'm going to say that this served 4. You might disagree.

Ingredients

  • 1 strip steak (prefer Certified Angus Beef® Brand
  • 2 T butter, divided
  • 2 T olive oil, divided
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 fennel, thinly sliced
  • 1 t minced oregano
  • 1 T minced parsley
  • 1 t chili paste


Procedure
Let steaks rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cooking - and up to an hour. Season both sides with salt and pepper generously.

Melt 1 T butter in 1 T olive oil in a large, flat-bottom pan. Place onions and fennel slices in the pan and cook until translucent and caramelized. Stir in your herbs and remove to a serving plate.

Melt 1 T butter in 1 T olive oil in the same pan. Heat the point that it is almost smoking. Place your steak in the pan. Depending on thickness, you will want to cook the steak for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. You should have a nice crust formed with an internal temperature of about 130 degrees F for medium. Remove from pan and tent with foil. Let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.

Slice and place steak on top of caramelized onions and fennel. Serve immediately.

*Disclosure: I received product for free from Certified Angus Beef® Brand, one of the sponsors of #BurgerMonth, as a thank you for participating in the event. I have received no further compensation for my post. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons