Saturday, May 21, 2016

Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita for #SundaySupper


Throw Something on the Barbie...
As the days lengthen and warm, my culinary mind turns to the grill. Well, most of the time. This Spring, however, our grill is packed away as we prepare to move houses, again, this Summer. But I still have my grill pan - that I use on the stove - and I got the nod that it was okay to participate in this Sunday Supper Movement event even though my dish is not technically cooked on a grill.

Thanks to Sue from A Palatable Pastime for hosting this fun event.

All the Grilled Goodies...

Patio Libations
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
The Main Event
On a Side Note
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
Finishing Touches
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement


Unusually sweet...
Those who read my blog even somewhat regularly know that my recipes tend towards the savory. So, it surprised even me when I decided to share a grilled sweet for today's round-up!


I made a granita with grilled strawberries, adding a touch of exotic with blue basil from my Enthusiastic Kitchen Elf's herb garden.

Granita is a frozen dessert that I remember mostly from Sicily. It may have been available throughout Italy, but I remember sitting in piazze all over Palermo, eating granita, and talking about our next day's adventure. I don't remember that gloriously cool rush of icy sugar from when I lived in Rome. My favorite part: It's amazingly simple and flexible. 

Granitas are great because they have so few ingredients and even fewer rules! Use any watery fruit. Use any citrus. I've made Watermelon-Tequila Granita, Pluot-Port Granita, and even a Cuba Libra Granita. Okay, there's not real fruit in that last one, but you really can't go wrong with rum and coke!


Ingredients
  • 1 C water
  • 1 C organic granulated sugar
  • 4 T blue basil leaves and blossoms + a few whole flowers for garnish
  • 1 ½ pounds strawberries, approximately 2 pints


Procedure
Place blue basil in a sterile jar. Bring water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the syrup into the jar with the blue basil. Let cool completely.


Heat grill or grill pan on the stove; I opted for the latter as our grill is packed and ready for our move. Thread strawberries onto a skewer.


Grill strawberries until softened and juices are bubbling, approximately 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.


Once cooled puree grilled strawberries with 1/2 C blue basil syrup. Reserve the rest for some blue basil lemonade!


Pour mixture into a rimmed pan . Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.


Using the tines of a fork, stir the mixture every 30 minutes, scraping edges and breaking up any ice chunks as the mixture freezes, until granita is slushy and frozen, approximately 3 hours.


Scoop into chilled serving glasses.



Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.

Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It's easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

6 comments:

  1. Great combination of flavors! Can't wait for the local strawberries to arrive at the market to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really tasty. I love strawberries and basil, and I'm sure the grilling adds another flavor dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely combination of flavors! Sounds like a refreshing end to a summer meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, you could probably use this as a cleansing course also. It reminds me of a sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I love cleansing courses. Good call, Wendy.

      Delete
  5. That blue basil sounds intriguing. Strawberries and basil in a granita sound perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons