Friday, May 27, 2016

{Gluten-Free} Sugar & Spice Doughnuts


It's been a wild week. From R's Community Project presentation to D's Spring Piano Recital and Arts' Night, we have been ridiculously overscheduled and even double-booked. Yep, I skipped a board meeting in the middle of the week. Don't worry, I had someone else cover it, but I didn't attend. That might actually be a first.


So, last night, after I finished prepping for my Bizarre Foods SEM, I decided that I needed to make dessert...and pour a glass of wine. Years ago I reviewed Mini Donuts by Jessica Segara and bought a mini doughnut pan. I think that was the only time I ever used it. But it's been in my cabinet and when I saw Someone Else's Genius post Chai Doughnuts with a Ginger-Lime Glaze for our Crazy Ingredient Challenge this month, I was inspired to dig the pan from the dark recesses of the shelf. Granted, I didn't use her recipe, but she was my inspiration for dusting off the pan. I'll try her recipe soon.


Ingredients makes approximately 15 doughnuts
Doughnuts
  • 1/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 C olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
  • 3/4 C organic granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 2 2/3 C gluten-free flour blend (I used 2 C of a pre-blended flour, 1/3 C sweet rice flour, 1/3 C chestnut flour)
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t ground nutmeg*
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t ground cardamom
  • 1/4 t ground ginger
  • 1/4 C whole milk**
  • 3/4 C orange juice
  • canola oil for spraying the pan
  • Also needed: mini donut pan***
For Serving
  • 5 T butter, melted
  • 1/2 t ground nutmeg
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t ground cardamom
  • 1/4 t ground ginger
  • 1/3 C organic granulated sugar

*feel free to substitute for 2 t pumpkin pie spice
**feel free to use only milk if you don't have any orange juice - or use any other liquid


Procedure
Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray mini doughnut pan with canola oil spray.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Pour in the milk and orange juice. Whisk till incorporated. Gently fold in the spices, flour, and baking soda until fully incorporated. Spoon the batter into the hollows until the batter almost reaches the top of the pan.

Bake for 7 minutes - or until the doughnuts are golden brown and raised. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the pan over to invert the doughnuts onto a cooling rack. Repeat until all the batter is used.

While doughnuts are cooling, make the topping. Melt the butter in a small skillet and keep warm. On a plate, blend together the sugar and spices. Dunk each cooled doughnut in butter, then place - butter-side down - in the spice-sugar mixture to coat. Place on rack or tray for the butter to set. 


***This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons