Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Delightful, Delectable Details at Flowers + Gin II

Every once in awhile you meet someone who is creativity incarnate. Almost twenty years ago, while I was in college, I met Jenn of Maker, Baker, Glitter Shaker. Just this year, I met Katie of Bar Cart Cocktail Co.


I am constantly in awe of those beautiful gals and realize that what impresses me every time I taste or sip something of theirs: their delightful, delectable details. I have to admit that while I am duly inspired after spending time with them; I also feel like a great big copycat when I recreate something they have done because, well, I certainly would never have thought to do something like it. Still, I am grateful to have them as muses. I mean, look at this. The girl knows who to set a table that's a feast for all senses.


This afternoon I attended Katie's Flowers + Gin event at Folktale Winery in Carmel Valley; she teamed up with Lolo of Burst + Bloom again for a fun girls' afternoon. I had gone to their inaugural event in March when we bottled up some late Winter and early Spring flavors. This time, we worked with the flavors of Fall, including pine needles, sugar pine cones, madrone berries, and more.



Okay, time to share some of these delicious details. Have you ever considered encasing part of your garnish in ice? I hadn't. And I can't imagine why not. It's lovely. Katie froze pine needles for the second cocktail of the day...


 ...and the final sip included acorn ice cubes.


Another detail I plan to blatantly steal for the holidays: the flower totem. We threaded blooms onto the slightly woody stem of a dried scabiosa flower. I used marigold, amaranth, and rose petals.


This is how the flower totem looks in a cocktail. Gorgeous, isn't it?!


I will share some recipes - my versions anyway - soon. But, for now, I wanted to admit my girlie crush and source of inspiration for homemade infusions and beautiful, unique garnishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons