- 3/4 C organic butter plus some for greasing pan
- 1 C organic granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 T melted dark or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 T thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1 t organic chocolate extract
- 1 t organic peppermint extract
- 1 C flour (I used a bread flour)
- 1/2 C roasted, unsalted hazelnuts
- more fresh mint for garnish
Before you start, chop your hazelnuts. While you might be tempted to use pre-chopped nuts - I have done it many times myself - the aroma of the freshly chopped nuts is extraordinary and well worth the effort. I promise!
Place your butter and sugar in a saucepan and heat, over medium heat, until the butter is melted and the sugar is blended into the butter.
Fold in the flour and 1/2 C hazelnuts with a spatula, taking care not to deflate the batter too much. Using a truffle scoop, or teaspoon, fill the shell molds with batter until almost full.
Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 3 to 5 minutes. Unmold. You may be able to tap them out; I used a small spatula to ease them out of the molds onto the cooling racks. Garnish with more fresh mint for serving.
If you are interested in purchasing a madeleine pan for yourself, I have included an affiliate link on amazon for your convenience (below). If you are uncomfortable using the affiliate link, feel free to visit amazon on your own and search for "madeleine pan."