Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Black Bean-Coconut Brownies

I was craving something sweet a few nights ago and decided to - finally - try a black bean brownie. I've had them on my list for quite awhile. I looked at a few different recipes and created this one, adding dried, unsweetened coconut flakes and chocolate and hazelnut extracts.


Ingredients
  • 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added organic black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2/3 C organic coconut sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 C olive oil
  • butter for greasing the baking dish
  • 1 t organic chocolate extract
  • 1 t organic hazelnut extract
  • 1 T raw agave nectar
  • 1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 C organic white whole wheat flour
  • 1 C dried, unsweetened coconut flakes
  • powdered sugar for serving

Procedure
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter baking pan; I used a 9" round baking stone.

Place black beans and sugar in a blender (or food processor, if you have one) and blend till smooth. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in  eggs, olive oil, agave, and extracts until smooth. Fold in the cocoa powder, flour, and coconut flakes until just moistened.

Spoon mixture to the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until just set in the center. Cool before cutting. Dust with powdered sugar for serving.

The boys didn't like the coconut flakes in it. Next time, I'll them without...but, for my first attempt, I was happy with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons