Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Sabzi Khordan (Fresh Herb Platter)


I used to have a friend from Iran. And whenever we ate dinner at her house, I remember her platters of clipped herbs. They were always so crisp and refreshing. I loved it!

In reading Louisa Shafia's The New Persian Kitchen, I realize that these platters are on the table at almost every dinner. Where we have our green salads, they have their sabzi khordan. Use whatever herbs or greens you have. Tonight I used fresh mint, fresh dill, and baby lettuces.


Ingredients

  • feta cheese
  • olive oil
  • fleur de sel
  • freshly ground pepper
  • ground cumin
  • 2 bunches of whole herbs or greens
  • nuts (traditionally, they serve walnuts; I had pistachios)
  • radishes, quartered
  • tomato, sliced into wedges
  • flatbread for serving

Procedure
Slice your feta cheese into serving-sized pieces. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cumin.

Arrange your platter with alternating colors for a pleasing platter. I did: feta, fresh mint, yellow tomatoes, baby greens, radishes, and fresh dill with pistachios in the center.

To eat: pick up some herbs and place them in a manageable piece of flatbread. Stuff the flatbread with herbs, cheese, a radish or tomato, and nuts. Fold in half and eat. Delicious! I will definitely be serving sabzi khordan more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons